Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #1

Share |

Transition from linoleum to ceramic tile...

Our kitchen had linoleum. Last night we scraped everything up. Left behind was some dried glue/adhesive that was on the linoleum. I'm curious about how necessary it is to get every last thing up before putting down mortar and tile? I want it done right, even if it requires a ton more work, but if it's one of those things that's useless to worry about, I figured I'd ask. Thanks!

roasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #2

More times than not the problem is with the mortar adhering to what you leave behind. We had a small kitchen, and installed a new sub floor to level it before laying down self-stick tiles. About 6 years later, my daughter graduated from college and left for a job in another city. We decided to take down a wall to expand the kitchen and to the entire floor in ceramic. We also added glue when we put them down to keep them on until we could be a complete remodel. I didn't get all the glue off, but I figured I could level it with the mortar and all would be well. We didn't have problems with all of them, but a friend who is a contractor told us that the tiles we are having problems with may be because the the mortar did not bond properly. I would have thought that mortar would bond to anything, but we are told that is most likely our problem. The parts where we scraped it almost down are areas we seem to not be having this problem. For this reason, I believe he may be correct.
You can check with some of the manufacturers of the mortar and see if thier product will do the trick or perhaps wiping it with a bonding agent before applying the mortar might do the trick. Our tile in certain spots eventually cracked, but beforehand, I could see the grout lines looking like they were cracking, which I was told because it did not bond properly, there was ever so slight constant movement from the heavy traffic our home is blessed with. A few months later, the tiles started to crack as well.
I have had a LOT of success over the years making call like this. THat is one call I wish I would have made. It is now a very big floor to replace!

Janetp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Did you put thinset, cbu and then thinset under the tile?
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Tileguy

Roasted,

You didn't supply any info concerning what your subfloor is made of. No way to help you without knowing much more. Let's start with at least that and any other info you can give us.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote