Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #1

Share |

Transition from grouted vinyl tile to carpet

We had the floor coverings for the entire first floor of our home replaced this summer. Grouted vinyl tile in the foyer/kitchen/back hall/bath and new carpet in the LR/DR/FR. I purchased aluminum transition strips and aluminum stair nosings in a satin titanium color to complement the tile color, and these were installed at completion of job. Our home previously used aluminum transitions strips at these same junctions.

My wife hates these strips! Not their color, but the appearance of the strips - coupled with the knowledge of what this job cost.

What can be done to eliminate the strips?

I am thinking of buying aluminum tile edge strips in the same titanium color, pull back the carpet, install the tile edge strip backwards (punched lip under carpet), grout between the tile and strip, then either double over the carpet and staple the edge, or use "Pinless" tack-strips to secure the carpet's edge.

Will this work? Both strips are located in archways, foyer to LR and kitchen to DR.

One stair nosing can be replaced with an oak stair tread nosing carefully cut into the grouted vinyl tile. The other is hidden by the door going into the basement so she really doesn't care (at least I don't care about this hidden one). Obviously it would have been best to have this tread nosing installed prior to the floor, but when the floor covering store says "use Aluminum" and my wife says "OK", I had o reason to do otherwise - at the time.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Last edited by MI-Roger; 11-28-2009 at 10:16 AM.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Many people consider it a no-no, but I put tack strip 3/8 from the tile like I would a wall and trim and tuck. It makes a nice clean transtion. Some say the carpet will wear out on the strip, but I could show you some I did 10 years ago that still look nice. You also could use z-bar.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #3

Similar to the above post... Put a double row of tack strips 1/2" inch away from the tile. Cut the carpet 1" from the tack strip and fold the carpet under so the nap is in contact with the tile as you push it back onto the tack strips. This gives you a nice finished edge and compensates for slight irregularities in the edge of the tile.

Rege
RegeSullivan is online now   Reply With Quote