Transition From Edge Of Step - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Transition from edge of step

Just about to lay my cement board but I wanted to get help with ideas on how to finish the edge of my tiles. I'm going to tile from my dining room to the family room. When you go from the dining room to the family room you take a step down to go to the family room which is carpeted. I've attached a photo of how the transition is. I plan on removing the wood bull nose edge, and the wood underneath the bull nose and the molding piece. I'm just stuck on what to put there once the tiles come up to the edge of the step. I know I should put some kind of transition to cover the edge of the tiles so the tiles don't get damaged from being stepped on. Hope this makes sense, and thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Transition from edge of step-photo.jpg  

Advertisement

oguevarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

The wood transition should stay put. Then bring the tile up to the wood edging at the same level. Leave a joint to match the joint size you are using. Caulk this joint, not grouting it which will crack.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
The wood transition should stay put. Then bring the tile up to the wood edging at the same level. Leave a joint to match the joint size you are using. Caulk this joint, not grouting it which will crack.
Thanks Bob! So I'll lay my cement board and tile and bring it level to the wood transition. Since I'm new at doing this can you explain what a joint is?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

BTW, many grout manufactures also produce matching caulk - both sanded and unsanded -, so you can get a better match with the grout.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 12-15-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

a joint refers to the spacing between the tiles. At the edges you fill this with caulking to match your grout. Buy this at the tile store.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #6

Thanks bob, I took a look at it today and I think I want to remove the wood transition all together and put a different type of transition. Do you know what other kind of transition I can put at that edge. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
Remodeling Contractor

you need something the same thickness as the wood bull nose you have now to look good. Possibly use a piece of marble or stone for edging if you do not want the wood.

Advertisement