Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2009, 07:13 AM   #1

Share |

Trafficmaster groutable vinyl

Hey folks first post.
I'm installing(preparing to) groutable vinyl(sticky backs)..my kitchen floor has sheet vinyl on it now, house is 6 years old. Have tested subfloor by pulling up old floor,looks good,just white glue residue(still slightly sticky). Old floor seems to come off without leaving anything behind.
Should I lay new tiles down directly on the subfloor or take off old glue? This would be near impossible by the looks of it?
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks

Spunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #2

Trafficmaster groutable vinyl

1. Remove the old underlayment too, this is the luan or thin plywood under your existing vinyl. Then install new underlayment with staples on 3 to 4 inch centers throughout. Some underlayment comes printed with grid for stapling pattern.
  2. Do not use sticky back tiles.
  3. Buy groutable vinyl tiles which are set onto a trowel applied mastic layer. Mannington and Stainmaster are two such brands. Konecto is another brand that I am fairly certain makes groutable vinyl tiles.
  4. Congoleum also makes this product but has had many problems with their groutable tile. An experienced installer told me he has seen numerous Congoleum floors where the entire wear layer separates from the tile within a few months. He said he has never had a "call back" with the Stainmaster or Mannington products in the three years he has been installing them
  5. Buy from a reputable floor covering store and not one of the big box stores. The big box places often sell identical appearing brand name products that are thinner and less durable than those sold by the specialty stores.
We had 30 sq yards of groutable vinyl installed this summer and we love it! Everyone who sees it immediately thinks it is ceramic or porcelain tiles, until they realize is is warmer and softer underfoot than ceramic tile floors.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 10-29-2009 at 07:26 PM.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote