Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 46
Share |
Post

Tough Subfloor


Hi everyone, this is my first post and here is our problem right now. We (my wife and I) are currently re-doing an entire bathroom and in the demolition phase. We have removed all the cbu, dryall, tiles, toilte, vanity, tub, etc..

The only obstacle right now is the subfloor. Our subfloor is plywood (I believe) that is screwed to our floor joists/planks. The screws are a combination of Phillips head and Robertson head screws and screwed into the planks and joists in an irregular pattern.

The problem is many of the screw heads are corroded and/or stripped.. and its very difficult to get them out. So the question is what are some good ways of removing the screws? I have tried putting naval jelly on the heads to see if that helps and it did not. Our next attempt will be either cutting slots into the head with a circular saw.. or maybe using an extractor bit. Is there anything we may be missing? Getting this floor out is all thats lefts really for our demo and its becoming a real pain..


Last edited by busyhammer; 02-25-2013 at 11:21 AM.
busyhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,560
Default

Tough Subfloor


Have you cut the subfloor on the out side walls where it runs under the walls yet?
Just make cuts between the joist and use a bar like this and the screws will snap off or pull out.
http://www.contractorstools.com/gutster.php

Or you can cut and remove the area between the joist and cut off the screws with a sawsall with a metal cutting blade.
Waste of time trying to get the screws out if there that bad.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 46
Default

Tough Subfloor


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Have you cut the subfloor on the out side walls where it runs under the walls yet?
Just make cuts between the joist and use a bar like this and the screws will snap off or pull out.
http://www.contractorstools.com/gutster.php

Or you can cut and remove the area between the joist and cut off the screws with a sawsall with a metal cutting blade.
Waste of time trying to get the screws out if there that bad.
This looks interesting. Are these available at HD, Lowes, etc? And will pulling up the board with the screws damage the joists? We have a couple of "wonderbars" from lowes.. is there any real world difference between that and this?
busyhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Utica, NY
Posts: 514
Default

Tough Subfloor


Quick question, why are you taking out the subfloor?
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,560
Default

Tough Subfloor


It's going to do a small amount of damage not enougth to matter.
A wonder bar will work but you will be the one doing all the work not the bar.
Northern Tool is where I got mine.
No box store will have them.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 46
Default

Tough Subfloor


Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
Quick question, why are you taking out the subfloor?
This is the thought process

- Since we are redoing the whole bathroom, we asked ourselves why not re-do the subfloor since if its ever going to be done nows a good time.
- The floor is as follows Joists|Planks|Plywood|Some kind of black adhesive(Mastic?)|Vinyl|CBU|Tile we are now looking at the vinyl flooring layer. There is also some rotted wood that used to be by the tub and around the toilet.
- Once we removed all the CBU and Tile, there were a lot of screws that were sticking out throughout the remaining floor. These would have to be removed before laying new tile.
- We are adding a "mini-laundry-room" to the bathroom and want to make the whole floor completely waterproof with something like advantec + durock + kerdi.. probably overkill but so be it.
busyhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
Member
 
JetSwet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lagrangeville NY
Posts: 954
Default

Tough Subfloor


Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
Quick question, why are you taking out the subfloor?
If the screws are corroded, its probably time to replace the subfloor.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 46
Default

Tough Subfloor


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It's going to do a small amount of damage not enougth to matter.
A wonder bar will work but you will be the one doing all the work not the bar.
Northern Tool is where I got mine.
No box store will have them.
Any experience with this type of tool?

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/klein-t...bar-64306.html

Its available at HD and I can get it today and would not have to wait for shipping anyway
busyhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
Member
 
JetSwet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lagrangeville NY
Posts: 954
Default

Tough Subfloor


A roofing shovel will is what I use some times to pull plywood off.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 46
Default

Tough Subfloor


Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
A roofing shovel will is what I use some times to pull plywood off.
maybe.. but I think I will stop by hd to look at that grizzly bar today..
busyhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
Member
 
JetSwet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lagrangeville NY
Posts: 954
Default

Tough Subfloor


What on earth is that link?!?....... hey any one want to travel to a different dimention in time and space...click the link lol
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 46
Default

Tough Subfloor


Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
What on earth is that link?!?....... hey any one want to travel to a different dimention in time and space...click the link lol

Could be malicious... wouldn't recommend it
busyhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Floor Installer
 
sam floor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Buckner, Mo.
Posts: 164
Default

Tough Subfloor


Looks like a spammer.
sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 725
Default

Tough Subfloor


Quote:
Originally Posted by busyhammer View Post
Any experience with this type of tool?

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/klein-t...bar-64306.html

Its available at HD and I can get it today and would not have to wait for shipping anyway

$84 for that? NO WAY! I just run my circular saw between the joists. If I have to cut across the joists, I set my blade to the correct height and make the cuts. Although I try to avoid running through the screws, my carbide-tipped blade has no problems hitting a few here and there. Then, I get a crowbar up under and pry the subfloor up and out.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 46
Default

Tough Subfloor


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
$84 for that? NO WAY! I just run my circular saw between the joists. If I have to cut across the joists, I set my blade to the correct height and make the cuts. Although I try to avoid running through the screws, my carbide-tipped blade has no problems hitting a few here and there. Then, I get a crowbar up under and pry the subfloor up and out.

I agree, I thought it was a little on the high side too for what is basically a steel rod.. I ended up going to HD and even though they didn't have the Grizzly Bar they had a similar looking bar for about $20 so I went with that.

I like the idea of a circular saw cutting between the joists.. I may try that.. I don't know why I didn't think of that before!

busyhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
screws, stripped, subfloor


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Subfloor and P-trap for basement bathroom svaic00 Plumbing 9 10-11-2012 12:51 PM
How should I reinforce this subfloor? NewHomeDIYGuy Tiling, ceramics, marble 35 12-05-2011 10:01 AM
subfloor izzyk Building & Construction 0 07-15-2011 05:34 PM
Need guidance on subfloor problems in new home. wb1026 Flooring 9 10-06-2009 06:29 AM
Subfloor / underlayment question... scheenstra Flooring 7 02-21-2008 07:39 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.