Top Coat Or Sealing Prefinished Bamboo In Kitchen - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

top coat or sealing prefinished bamboo in kitchen

Hi all,

We did our whole upstairs in this prefinished bamboo.

http://www.calibamboo.com/bamboo-flo...ized-java.html

It looks great. But as we get to the last room, the kitchen, we were planning to "top coat" the bamboo per the recommendation on the installation guide.

Top Coating:
In areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, and spaces where food service occurs, top-coating the floor will help prevent against moisture damage. ... Cali Bamboo recommends using Bona flooring finish products www.bona.com in these areas. Carefully read and follow all BonaKemi finish application instructions.

(http://www.calibamboo.com/bamboo-flo...ion-guide.html at the very bottom)

Now that we got to this step and I started researching how to do it, I am realizing that this means they intend me to rent a sander, sand my prefinished floor and finish it again with at least two products, probably Bona Prep and Bona Naturale.

This seems insane, expensive, and prone to giant ugly screwups.

Do I understand this correctly? Is this something people do? Is it worth doing? Is there something appropriate to do in a kitchen short of this?

The company also told me that they have people put their product in bathrooms all the time, which was something we thought we might do with some of the bamboo we had leftover. But now I don't know.

Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement

bublsort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

top coat or sealing prefinished bamboo in kitchen

I have been installing hardwood for 28 years and have never heard of putting a top coat on any hardwood other than cork. I read the manufactures guide lines and I beleive they are refering to commercial kitchen. I put6 a top coat on cork because of the core of the flooring. Bamboo is all wood, even engineered. I see no reason for this. But I would call the manufacturer and then follow what they say. If not done properly this could leave you with a floor that looks worse than when you started.

Advertisement

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodman58 For This Useful Post:
bublsort (08-22-2011)