Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2005, 01:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Tools/Saws for laminate floor

Hello,

I am planning to install Wilsonart Laminate Square Tiles on the floor in my house. The tiles are 5/16 " thick and 15.5 inches wide. I have no experience in woodworking and planning to purchase a saw to cut the laminate and do this job fine but not spending alot. Will a benchtop saw enough power to do this job? If so, what brand is good? And which brands or type of blades I should use (60 or 80 tooth)? I plan to keep the saw for doing laminate flooring only in the future (plank or tile style). So if anyone can help with this is greatly appreciated.

cattalk

cattalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #2
Contractor

My all-time favorite tool for flooring jobs is a radial arm saw, they do it all. Cut all angles and rip. They are now considered one of the most dangerous tools too. I grew up with them and am comfortable with them.
You can get by with a good 7-1/4" hand saw. One of my guys uses a hand saw for ripping and a sliding miter saw for cross cuts. On big jobs, a table saw helps a lot for ripping. You will also see all of the above there.
It all depends on what you want to spend. I bought my RAS from a desperate cabinetmaker for $50.00, took me half a day to put on a new table, wire in a 110/220 switch, make pigtails and dial it in. I don't know that much about small SCMS's, most should cut your material at 90* but I'm not certain about 45*s. You're going to have to do your homework.
More teeth is better. I allow one blade per 600 sq.ft., depends on the flooring. Mohawk eats blades the fastest, I think that they mix sand into their laminates. LOL Find a good sharpener in your area and buy mid-priced blades, cheap blades use cheap carbides and they dull quickly.

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #3

Use the Bullet chopper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
homedude is offline   Reply With Quote