Too High Floor Joist - While Installing Hardwood Flooring = ? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Newly Retired

Rewards Points: 75

Too High Floor Joist - while installing hardwood flooring = ?

I am taking out my laminate flooring and going to replace it with 3/4" Oak hardwood 3" wide planks. I have one floor joist running across my living room that is higher that all the others by about 1/8" to 3/16". What would be the best way to correct this problem. I was told to take up the sub floor and plane the joist down. Would this be the best or are there better ways.

Advertisement

tuchodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #2

Why would you want to get into all that for an 1/8 of an inch??

I just did this job in my house last year. Same size hard wood as you. I had a couple high spots as well but I just laid down the new floor right over top. I can't notice a thing!!

If I were you I'd just lay your new flooring and not bother with it. But if you're going to deal with it then pulling up the subfloor and plaining the joist would do the trick. But that is also a big job for an 1/8 of an inch.

Good luck with the new floor. If you get stuck or just have a question or two feel free to ask. I took pics of my job as I went.

Advertisement

Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fantastic For This Useful Post:
framer52 (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 528

First, I would like to know how you determined it was one joists too high?

Secondly, are you always this anal?

Third, you are working with wood and small 1/8 to 2/16 variances are completely normal.

You have been told the only way to get it flat already and yet you are rejecting that. I suggest you relax and lay the new floor and don't worry about that little, tiny hump.....
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Newly Retired

It is very noticeable with the laminate now and I have been told by people that lay hardwood that it has to be very flat to do a good job. I used two 6' levels to find that it was 3/16" high only on one joist and went into the crawl space and located the high joist.

framer52:: The fellow who told me was a steel worker and I was not sure if his info was all that good but by the sounds of it it must have been so yes I like to be that anal when it shows that bad with laminate and I am sure it will show that bad with real hardwood. Thanks for the suggestions though
Old 05-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

So instead of planing can you put thinner and thinner long shims on both sides so the high ridge gradually tapers down to the other heights, maybe over a distance of a few feet?
I guess these shims should raise the subflooring from underneath on the nearby joists.

Maybe instead you can abrade the top surface of the subfloor, wood, nail heads and all, so the subfloor is thinner on top of that high joist. Structurally this shouldn't affect the bending strength of the subfloor while it spans the distance between joists.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-20-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
Newly Retired

[QUOTE=Yoyizit;925435]So instead of planing can you put thinner and thinner long shims on both sides so the high ridge gradually tapers down to the other heights, maybe over a distance of a few feet?
I guess these shims should raise the subflooring from underneath on the nearby joists.

I looked at shimming a couple of joist beside the one that is high and it would be a lot more work than planning down the high one which is what I am going to do. I am going to put a 2x8 on both sides of the 2 joists running parallel with the high one so I get a wider surface to re-nail my sub floor with.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

You can also use roofing shingles as shims under the new flooring to taper out the affected area.
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fixrite For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (05-21-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer52 View Post
First, I would like to know how you determined it was one joists too high?

Secondly, are you always this anal?

Third, you are working with wood and small 1/8 to 2/16 variances are completely normal.

You have been told the only way to get it flat already and yet you are rejecting that. I suggest you relax and lay the new floor and don't worry about that little, tiny hump.....
With all due respect. framer.....show some!!

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

[quote=tuchodi;925548]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
So instead of planing can you put thinner and thinner long shims on both sides so the high ridge gradually tapers down to the other heights, maybe over a distance of a few feet?

I looked at shimming a couple of joist beside the one that is high and it would be a lot more work than planning down the high one which is what I am going to do. I am going to put a 2x8 on both sides of the 2 joists running parallel with the high one so I get a wider surface to re-nail my sub floor with.
This I think is your best option Tuchodi. What are you planning to use to do the sanding? Belt sander will probably be the most arduous approach, but you'll have better control than lets say a hardwood floor sander which you can rent. It can be aggressive and would be less labor intensive, but can you control it???

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"

Last edited by CrossWorks; 05-24-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spell check
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #10

If you did not have any problems with you laminate floor, you will not have any problems with your hardwood. Laminate will seperate if the floor is to much out of level. If you don't know what you are doing with the shims to level the floor you could end up with more problem. I would do nothing with it. Good luck

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
Newly Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
If you did not have any problems with you laminate floor, you will not have any problems with your hardwood. Laminate will seperate if the floor is to much out of level. If you don't know what you are doing with the shims to level the floor you could end up with more problem. I would do nothing with it. Good luck
I didn't have any problem with the laminate floor, there was not separation on end joints but also laminate is way more flexible than 3/4" hardwood so I am not sure if I may have a problem.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #12

I have been installing hardwood for 29 years. You can go over this without any problems. The only problem is if you wanted to put a china cabinet or similar item over this area, you would have to level it. Most laminate is allowed 18" deviation in being flat. Any more than that can cause problems. Doesn't always happen but, can. If you feel it is not going to work then you can pull the plywood and plain the joist. Your call.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodman58 For This Useful Post:
tuchodi (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Newly Retired

Thanks woodsman58 I will try it without doing anything to the joist as runs across the entire floor I am going to do in hardwood so I will be able to tell if I need to plain the joist or not. I have installed a little hardwood before but not this big an area so I was not sure as I have always made sure my sub floor was very close to level. Thanks Again

Advertisement