DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Toilet Flange Problem - New Tile Floor w/ Ditra

12K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  qwkslvr 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am currently in the middle of a bathroom remodel. I had my contractor install 3/4 plywood over original subfloor (3/8" plywood?). I am planning to install Ditra and then my ceramic tile in a brickwork pattern. One of my concerns is the cutout around the toilet flange. The is a fairly large gap surrounding the flange and I need some advice on what to do, if anything.

Should I fill in the void around the flange so the tile has something to rest on, and then secure the flange to the top of the tile floor? If so, what can I use to fill in the void? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, fill it in with something. You will want the tile supported for sure but also that flange should have something supporting it. It should be screwed down tight to the floor. Maybe someone else will have a better idea but I would remove the screws from the flange, fill in as best you can with 3/4 plywood pieces and screw down the flange then fill in with thinset.

Rege

Rege

#4 · (Edited)
It looks like you have a plywood seam directly next to the flange. I would ask your contractor if he could remove a portion of the plywood, take out the lag bolts (or screws), then install a fresh piece using a jigsaw rather than making plunge cuts with a circular saw to make his cut out thus making a tighter fit on 3 sides. The piece adjacent to the seam which would need to come out to install the plywood can be reinstalled, glued and screwed down thus supporting the collar on all 4 sides. Then the lag bolts can be re-installed and will have a lot of meat to grab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.