Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #1

Share |

Tips for laminate over imperfect concrete

I pulled up an old carpet that had been peed on many times by a cat from a daylight basement with a concrete subfloor.

So far I have neutralized the odor with a commercial grade enzyme cleaner and sealed the concrete. The smell seems to be completely gone

Now, onto the new flooring.

I purchased 12mm laminate that has attached padding as well as an underlayment that is supposed to be sound deadening. http://www.lumberliquidators.com/ll/...D%20H/10015924

The basement itself can seem humid in the summer, although it has never been actually damp (at least not when the carpet was down). Do you think that I still need to put down plastic sheeting under the underlayment? Or will the attached padding and the purchased underlayment be enough?

Also, the concrete subfloor itself is not perfect. There are pits where the old tackstrip had been nailed down, a few cracks, and one spot that seems just slightly higher than the rest.

Will the underlayment be enough to get a smooth finish on the laminate floor or do I need to do something major to the floor first? Do I need to put down a wood subfloor over the concrete? Or a skim coat of concrete over the whole thing (that might be beyond my DIY abilities).

Thanks for any tips.

mom929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom929

Will the underlayment be enough to get a smooth finish on the laminate floor or do I need to do something major to the floor first? Do I need to put down a wood subfloor over the concrete? Or a skim coat of concrete over the whole thing (that might be beyond my DIY abilities).

Thanks for any tips.
There was a post earlier this week in the flooring form where we talked about laying engineered hardwood flooring in the basement. He had bowing problems in the corners because the glue let go. His product was glueable apparently.

Checking your concrete slab for trueness may help you decide if any leveling procedures are required. Any humps or valleys in the concrete slab may cause some unnecessary movement in the laminating flooring which may eventually cause it to fail. Check the floor with a long straight edge and address any problems from there. Floor leveling compound may remedy some of the problems.

Regarding the moisture, If a six mill Poly had not been placed under the concrete slab during construction your basement may be drawing in some moisture that way. Remember that concrete is pores.* There is a black rubberized flooring underlay which could be laid down first which may prevent this. Any seams would have to be taped. I don't see a problem with adding an additional underlay but you may want to check with the manufacturer specs first. However I don't think this additional underlay will correct any dips or bumps in the floor.

Laminate flooring likes flat surfaces and hates moisture.

Last edited by MJ Force; 05-09-2013 at 08:33 AM.
MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #3

I might add ,And should NOT be used below grade.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #4

If u still end up using laminate I would use plastic , float spots that are real bad and I've used small shims of cardboard in small uneven trouble areas.
Godspede619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, floor, laminate, subfloor