DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

tips on gluing pieces of new carpet

9K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  orateyouth 
#1 ·
We had carpeting done in our upstairs and paid a good mint for it.

With scraps of left-over carpeting, I did some garbage collecting and found enough carpet to cover a basement landing and the stairs.

For the landing, I combined about 5 pieces (like a puzzle) and pushed them tight together. However, you do see the seams slightly.

Is there way (type of glue) I can use to almost mesh/glue the carpet fibres close together to avoid the obvious puzzle look? I have read in home improvement books that you can get some kind of glue machine that glues the base of the carpet. However, I dont' want to spend any money of this type.

I have a glue gun that is used for arts/crafts that I was thinking of using in the seams, and as it is hot I would push the seams tightly together.. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

Thanks

#2 ·
Hi there I have been fitting carpet for about 10 years now and with my experiance with joining carpet iv found that the best way is to stick the carpet to the floor with some spray glue prefix is a good brand here in the uk over laping the carpets give the glue 10 min to set then use a utlity knife with a sharp blade in and cut through the 2 pieces of carpet will give you an almost perfect join. Now to your question to hide the seems a bit better you can buy a seam roller for a few quid or bucks where ever you are just use buy rolling it over the seam criss crossing the pile into eachother. I would not recomend using a glue gun that will just make a mess and make it look even worse.

http://www.carpetfittingguide.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.