Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Tiling under radiator

I have a couple of questions:

I am remodeling my kitchen and accompanying breakfast nook. I plan on putting 12" stone or ceramic tiles down.

a couple of questions:
In the breakfast nook there are hardwood floors, covered by very very old (linoleum?) tiles, and then newish linoleum tiles. I tried to remove some of these but found it very difficult, and have decided just to leave them and cover with morter/backer board/morter/tiles. Is this a bad idea, or should I really try and remove the tiles first?

In the kitchen there is a giant sheet of linoleum flooring which actually comes up quite easily, and under this is the hardwood floors. In some places(especially near the sink) it is severly water damaged to the point of the hardwood crumbling down floor joists. Should I do anything to repair these areas, or simply install the backerboard ontop?

There is a radiator in each room. I am planning on taking these radiators out during the remodeling, and then reinstalling them. I am concerned that when I add the morter/backer/morter/tile it will raise the height of the floor my an inch or so, and this might cause problems when reinstalling the radiators. Do I just deal with this, by getting extensions for my radiators? Do I not tile around the radiators?

Give me your thoughts/advice. I am a noob when it comes to this, so assume I know nothing. Thanks.

DanBress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Tiling under radiator

First I'd remove as much floor as possible. Permanently raising your floor level (which is already probably a good bit higher than original) is not good. If the level of the radiators needs adjusted up or down in the end, there is probably enough give in the risers to accomodate the extra half-inch or so in either direction. If not, you'll need to replace the last vertical section of pipe that comes through the floor with a nipple that's slightly longer.

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tiling under radiator

You need to remove all the flooring down to the subfloor. You can't install tile and stone over hardwood strip flooring. You then need to build up the flooring with enough material to support the stone. Stone requires a more rigid base then tile. Failure to support it properly will cause the floor to fail.
Cap the radiator pipe until you are done. Place the radiator back when you complete the job and change the riser pipe as needed.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote