Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling Tips

My wife and I are going to attempt tiling our walk in closet as we are going to have a washer/dryer installed and therefore carpet will not work. We have removed the carpet and all the staples that were used to hold the underlay down. The floor is plywood, can we just tile on top of this?

Last edited by wedge22; 08-24-2008 at 08:31 PM.
wedge22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Tileguy

Tiling Tips

NO WAY! After re fastening the old subfloor, you'll need to install a tile backer board into fresh thinset mortar, then fasten and tape per directions.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
registered

Tiling Tips

Thinset over plywood then durock.

Last edited by 747; 08-24-2008 at 09:23 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #4

Tiling Tips

To elaborate...

Use a notched trowel to spread modified thinset mortar on the plywood. Lay 1/4" cement backerboard (wonderboard, durock, hardiebacker) into the wet thinset and screw it down to the subfloor plywood with backerboard screws. Let it set for a full day. Tape and mud any seams in the backerboard with backerboard mesh tape and thinset. Let that dry.

Now, you're ready to lay tile.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Tileguy

Tiling Tips

There is no reason, (except an important sports event on tv) to wait after setting the backer board.

Day one; Prep. the subfloor. install the backer board OR you could use a membrane such as Ditra. (more later). Tape and install tiles.

Day two; Grout the tiles.

In case you'd like the floor to be waterproof, you can install Ditra instead of the backer. You'll need to cover the seams with Kerdi Band, and also install Kerdi Band at the floor/wall joint. Now everything will be water tight, except the doorway of course.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #6

Tiling Tips

Thanks for the tips.

We do want it to be waterproof as we are going to have a washer in there. Will we be able to get Ditra and Kerdi band at home depot? If we are using Ditra then we do not need any backerboard?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:22 PM   #7

Tiling Tips

I always wait for the backerboard thinset to set up, but I agree that you don't necessarily have to. It should be screwed down anyhow.

Ditra is available at Home Depot (at least here it is). It can go over plywood, and is also set in modified thinset. Good product!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 AM   #8
registered

Tiling Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge22 View Post
Thanks for the tips.

If we are using Ditra then we do not need any backerboard?
NO

Ditra is great stuff. But to be honest with you its for experienced tile setters. You might get in over your head with the installation of that product. So if your set on using it. Take your time or you could have a mess on your hands. Unlike durock. You cant mess that up. See with that its lay a little thin set slap it down screw it down tape and your good to go.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:28 AM   #9

Tiling Tips

Wedge:

Do you have any squeeks in that floor when you walk over it? If so, you need to screw down the floor to the joists to eliminate any movement before you do anything else.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 AM   #10

Tiling Tips

The floor is nice and quiet and its a very small area really as its just a walk in closet.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:18 AM   #11

Tiling Tips

Well we installed some different stuff tonight not Ditra and not backerboard, its a roll on matting that comes with its own adhesive on the back, looks alot like bitumen. We ran out of time so my wife is going to attempt the tiling tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #12

Tiling Tips

The tiling is done but the floor was less even than we thought, it looks ok but its definately not perfectly flat
Old 08-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #13

Tiling Tips

It doesn't always have to look flat i.e "level" as long as it's true, then you can have floors that are not perfectly horizontal or walls that are 100% plumb.

Trueness is a bit of trickery for the eyeballs
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #14

Tiling Tips

I think that a small section of the floor was slightly higher than the rest which cause us to use a little more thinset in that area to prevent the tiles sticking up and not matching. We are hoping its going to look better after the grouting. We are definately going to buy self leveller if we attempt tiling again as it will be our bathroom next time.
Do we just caulk around the walls after grouting and sealing to make it waterproof?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:26 PM   #15
Tileguy

Tiling Tips

That area WILL NOT ever be waterproof the way you have done it.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote