DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

tiling questions - in middle of install

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dwpetee 
#1 ·
Hi all - new to this forum here, and I have a couple of questions I couldn't find any other info on...

I am in the middle of installing ceramic tile in my house. Actually, I am having it done, and I wanted to check up on my installer - make sure he isn't cutting any corners on me. I know this is a DIY web-site, but I was hoping to get some answers to other questions elsewhere as well...

Project details: house built in 1984, south FL. Tiles are being laid on concrete slab. Previous floor was also ceramic tiles. Reason for replacement is to freshen up the look/general re-modeling. New tiles are 18" square ceramic, with a 0.05% H20 absorption rate and a PEI rating of 5. Thinset is being used between tiles and floor. Presently, 90% of floor is down. Tiles have not been grouted.

Questions:

1. on some of the tiles which have been down for quite a while, I have already noticed that "ding" when my wife walks over them in her heels, indicating a void in the thin-set. This void area is always along the edge of the tile. My installer applied thinset to a clean floor and buttered the bottom of the tile; I think this void area is along the edges where he may have missed with the buttering. He says that the grout will fill in these spaces and I don't have to worry about it - is this correct, or should I have him pull the tiles and re-do them?

2. some of the cuts along the walls are not even. I think that there is no way to make this perfect - you will see variation from tile to tile in depth from wall as well as some cut angles will vary. I am kicking myself for not taking up the baseboards first, so I could put them over the tile. What is the right way to cover this up? quarter round? new, wider base-board?

3. which a SEI 5 rated tile, will sealing be necessary?

See less See more
#2 ·
Tap each tile very lightly with a hammer you can hear a tile that is not firmly set. (it will sound hollow) Use 1/4 round at the edges, I would have taken up baseboard, but to late now. There must be a space between walls/baseboard and the tile

#3 ·
Why are walking on that ungrouted floor?, let him grout it first, then see if they sound hollow, hope you stayed off of them for at least 24hrs. after they were set, if they are glazed porcelain, NO, you don't seal them or any glazed tile, just the grout joints if you like.

They will also sound hollow till the thinset cures, this can take a few days sometimes, then tap on them.:)

#4 ·
Rehabber said:
Tap each tile very lightly with a hammer you can hear a tile that is not firmly set. (it will sound hollow) Use 1/4 round at the edges, I would have taken up baseboard, but to late now. There must be a space between walls/baseboard and the tile
Don't take this the wrong way, but using a hammer is the last thing they should use, use your knuckles or a broom stick.:eek:

#5 ·
R&D Tile said:
Why are walking on that ungrouted floor?, let him grout it first, then see if they sound hollow, hope you stayed off of them for at least 24hrs. after they were set, if they are glazed porcelain, NO, you don't seal them or any glazed tile, just the grout joints if you like.

They will also sound hollow till the thinset cures, this can take a few days sometimes, then tap on them.:)
yeah, I gave it 24 hours before walking on it. it's hard not to walk on it - pretty much my whole house is getting done. He has been laying tile and we walk around it, next day he llays more tile and we walk on the first days tile.

so the thin-set curing will take care of the hollow sound, in addition to the grout?

#6 ·
R&D Tile said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but using a hammer is the last thing they should use, use your knuckles or a broom stick.:eek:
actually, to tap around a little, I used the handle part of a pair of scissors - closest thing I could find:cool: . I don't think I want to take a hammer to the tile for a while...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.