Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:10 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling a patio that already has screen enclosure.

Hello! I am a long time lurker, and have learned a ton from the forum already. I now have a new project and question, which I have not found the answer to yet, so I thought I would post it here.

I have a 12'x10' covered patio, the house roof extends over it. The sides are open but enclosed in fiberglass screen, using aluminum screen enclosure framing. The framing and screen extend from floor to ceiling. At the bottom (floor), the frame is about 1 inch thick and is bolted into the concrete.

My home is in Fort Myers, Florida, so there is no real freezing problem.

I would like to tile this patio. I have tiled indoors before. I have one main question about this project.

How do I deal with the "edges" of the patio. Do I tile up to the aluminum frame, or do I remove the frame, tile underneath, then reinstall the frame on top of the tile, but cut the screen and side framing shorter?

The former would be less work, but I don't know how that would affect drainage of the small amount of water that gets onto the patio during windy rainstorms.

Anyone have any ideas and opinions? I'd appreciate them, and any other tips on this project.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by gggonzalez; 04-03-2010 at 11:52 PM.
gggonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #2

Well, my father has suggested to simply tile up to the edge of the aluminum framing, leaving a grout line along the edge, but filling that with water proof caulking. I am going to give this shot over the next few days, hopefully it turns out...
gggonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #3

if the screen channel at the patio drains now you could tile to 1/4" of frame and leave open with no caulk for drainage. or seal edge to frame and if enough room drill weep holes in frame

Tags
outdoors, patio, tiling