Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling over vinyl asbestos tile

Hi everyone,

I am getting new carpet installed in my basement of my house that was built in 1969. I am planning on installing a 3'x6' ceramic tile entry area in front of the walkout sliding glass door. I figured this was something I could do before the carpet is to be installed on Friday September 23. I just went downstairs and ripped up the old carpet where I was planning on putting the new tile. I noticed there are brownish 9x9 vinyl tiles under the carpet padding. I was told these same tiles have asbestos in them when I was having carpet installed a few years ago in the upstairs of my house.

My question is --- Can I just install the new 12"x12" ceramic tile over the old asbestos tiles? If so, what type of thinset or adhesive would I use to make sure the bond is good between the new ceramic tiles and the old vinyl tiles?

The old vinyl tiles are really adhered to the floor and are not coming up in any area.

Thanks,
Brian

bhein57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
Tileguy

Use unmodified thinset mortar mixed with liquid additive.

The success of your ceramic tile installation depends on how well the VAT is adhered to the substrate.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhein57 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am getting new carpet installed in my basement of my house that was built in 1969. I am planning on installing a 3'x6' ceramic tile entry area in front of the walkout sliding glass door. I figured this was something I could do before the carpet is to be installed on Friday September 23. I just went downstairs and ripped up the old carpet where I was planning on putting the new tile. I noticed there are brownish 9x9 vinyl tiles under the carpet padding. I was told these same tiles have asbestos in them when I was having carpet installed a few years ago in the upstairs of my house.

My question is --- Can I just install the new 12"x12" ceramic tile over the old asbestos tiles? If so, what type of thinset or adhesive would I use to make sure the bond is good between the new ceramic tiles and the old vinyl tiles?

The old vinyl tiles are really adhered to the floor and are not coming up in any area.

Thanks,
Brian
Alan Ferden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Tileguy

So Alan...
Do you find using this forum challenging?
Old 10-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #5

I am a follow up question... I had the same situation as the OP but we scraped up the tiles. (they were very loose) Now we have a black rubbery coating left on the concrete floor Would I use the same thinset mixture as was suggested above to lay stone (Travertine) tile?

thanks for your help, Just found this forum and very happy about it!
txroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
txroller: "I am a follow up question..."
Don't you have to ask a first question before you can ask a "followup" question?
Feel free to begin your own thread rather than hijack this one.

Quote:
txroller: "Would I use the same thinset mixture as was suggested above"
No.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #7

sorry new to the forum... Don't mean to step on toes.

txroller is offline   Reply With Quote