Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #1

Share |

tiling over plywood - how much thickness/support is necessary?

Hi-I hope no one is offended that I'm repeating this post on flooring when I first put it on the plumbing site. (sorry - I'm a novice at this site.) We are wanting to tile the floor in two bathrooms that are back-to-back which previously had vinyl on the floor. I am concerned about adding so much thickness with cbu and then tile on top for the sake of the carpeting right next to the bathrooms. The flooring in both is 3/4" plywood. The floor sits on trusses that are 24" on center. we added support 2x4's perpendicular to the trusses underneath the floor of bathroom #2 so the floor would be more stable. The bathrooms are relatively small. The floor size of bathroom #1 is 5' x 4.5'. (So we're talking 22.5 sq. ft. This will have a pedestal sink on the tile.) The second bathroom will call for approx. 32 sq. ft. of tile once you subtract the area under the vanity. Is this enough support if we add the schluter ditra 1/8"?
we are planning to use ceramic/procelain tile - not stone or travertine. We just want to do it right.
Opinions?
One more question: does anyone have any strong opinions about not buying your tile from a Lowe's or Menards?
Thanks all.

tweetofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #2

add ditra and it will be fine. I would not tile directly to the subfloor

bluebird5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluebird5 For This Useful Post:
flashover600 (02-20-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
Buying the first round

I don't know how well your 2x blocking will help with deflection, It's really the additional layer of ply that will bring you to spec. But if elevation is critical use the XL instead.