Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Tiling over painted cement, but can't remove paint... what to do?

I have a small 70sqft interior, low-traffic mudroom that is currently painted cement. I want to lay down porcelain tile. I'm ready to go BUT there is a paint layer on the floor... it's at least 20 years old, and has zero peeling/cracking.

I know you're not supposed to lay tile over paint, but I can't remove this paint-- among other things, it may have lead in it, and I have a pregnant wife and a kid, so I'm not about to grind this into the air.

What are my options? I planned to treat the floor with RedGard (moisture/crack membrane)-- would that stick to the paint and provide a tacky enough layer for the porcelain tile?

Please help... I really want to get this done, and I don't want to do this all over again a few years from now
Attached Thumbnails
Tiling over painted cement, but can't remove paint... what to do?-tileexample.jpg  

arronsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Doubt that it has lead in it. Just ruff it up, lay the mud and tile.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

Thank you! how much 'rough' is enough rough? 70 sq ft I don't want to rent/buy a blaster/grinder, and while I'm not sure it has lead, I'm definitely not sure it doesn't so I'm still trying my darndest to avoid doing anything with the paint that would make it airborne.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Take the trowel you are going to use for the mud, and just scratch up what you can, or use paint stripper to remove the paint.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 06-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #5

OK, I had originally thought of doing the stripping, but read somewhere that the chemical strippers don't expose the concrete's pores and still leave a very smooth surface. Any that you like in particular?

THANK YOU for helping!
Old 06-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

All floors that have tile on them, have been smoothed finished for the majority, the res broom finished.

They actually make a product that you brush on before putting the motar down, which acts like a binder.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronsky View Post
I have a small 70sqft interior, low-traffic mudroom that is currently painted cement. I want to lay down porcelain tile. I'm ready to go BUT there is a paint layer on the floor... it's at least 20 years old, and has zero peeling/cracking.
Well unforutnately then the only thing adhering the tile to the cement will be whatever adhesion is left in that 20 year old paint, no matter how well the tile is adhered to the paint, the fact remains the only thing holding the tile will be the paint to concrete adhesion, since it's already 20 years old I would have not much faith it's going to stay stuck, especially when you start applying something OVER the paint and that liquid from thinset or whatever you plan to use soaks into the paint in any way while it cures/sets.

I guess it depends on how long you plan to stay in this house, were it me and staying there for life not moving out in maybe 3-5 years, I'd probably have the paint sandblasted off or something back to bare concrete.
I know around here there's a company that does mobile sandblasting too, probably wouldn't even take long to just blast that small an area after closing that room up from the rest of the house with plastic or something over the doorway.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #8
DIY staff

Avoid using any chemicals ---they often soak into the concrete and cause bonding failure.

I suggest you wet sand with 80 grit---just enough to scuff the surface---then use a good quality modified thinset--
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-28-2013)
Old 06-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #9

OK, thank you so much for your input guys. Unbelievably helpful.

I scraped a test patch last night and the paint comes off pretty easily, looks like it was one coat. So I went and got an 80 grit sand paper attachment for my drill and I think I'll just try to scuff up a good amount of the paint.

The last time this was touched was in the 90s so I'm now thinking it will be lead-free, but I bought a test kit just in case.

QUESTION: I have a bucket of redgard-- do I need/want to apply this over the scuffed floor before mortaring? This is NOT a bathroom or generally wet installation (it's a mudroom), and the floor is 40+ years old with minimal cracking and no signs of water infiltration.

Thank you again, you guys so quickly educated me and I'm very grateful for it.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:36 AM   #10
DIY staff

There is no benefit to adding red guard that I know of--