DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/)
-   -   Tiling over old peel and stick adhesive. (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/tiling-over-old-peel-stick-adhesive-140450/)

m3rdpwr 04-16-2012 01:09 PM

Tiling over old peel and stick adhesive.
 
This question has been asked by others, but with slightly differant circumstances.

I have a half bath in my basement with Armstrong peel and stick tiles directly on the concrete.

The tiles seem like they will come up easy from the first couple I saw.

I've been told that I should use a chemical cleanup, but I'm not fond of that idea with a 2 year old in the house with that type of fumes, etc.

What are my best options?

Other things I read was to use a thinset type mortar with an additive to promote better adhesion to the ceramic/porcelin tile.

Is this the proper route?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Mario

JetSwet 04-16-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3rdpwr
This question has been asked by others, but with slightly differant circumstances.

I have a half bath in my basement with Armstrong peel and stick tiles directly on the concrete.

The tiles seem like they will come up easy from the first couple I saw.

I've been told that I should use a chemical cleanup, but I'm not fond of that idea with a 2 year old in the house with that type of fumes, etc.

What are my best options?

Other things I read was to use a thinset type mortar with an additive to promote better adhesion to the ceramic/porcelin tile.

Is this the proper route?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Mario

Putting a skim coat over it with thinset, there is a liquid milk type you can add if you want. That might be better bet.

oh'mike 04-17-2012 05:32 AM

No chemicals--they will soak into the slab and cause bonding problems--You have two choices that I know work---

The easiest is to use a two part thinset (thank you Jet swet) Kerabond and Keralastic is a good example--

Or encapsulate it with a self leveling compound---once again, a two part--powder and liquid latex is the safest bet---Jifset and Linewebers liquid is a popular brand--

m3rdpwr 04-17-2012 10:35 AM

Thank you both!

JazMan 04-17-2012 12:30 PM

In addition to the above info, check out this product from Mapei.
http://www.mapei.com/public/US/produ...rip_TDS_EA.pdf

Remember that residue from peel & stick tiles is not cut-back.

Pay special notice to;

"Use over substrates that have a residue of well-bonded cutback adhesive, floor-covering adhesive or polyurethane adhesive."

Notice that while the other products might work over a residue, (film) of cut-back, this new product claims to also work over other types of adhesive residues.

Personal note. Many years ago I removed VAT installed with clear brush-on adhesive from my basement furnace/storage room. I used either a pre-blended modified thinset or a regular dry-set mixed with the appropriate latex additive. All seems fine for a few years, later the bond of the entire room failed. Being a utility room they are still there and look ok. But tap one and you'll hear they are there because of gravity and the grout.

Later, while checking other products I came across a note from TEC that their modified mortar may work over cut-back, (with proper prep), but not to use them over adhesives that were tacky. Peel & Stick adhesive residue is tacky. Make some calls, and read more.

Jaz

m3rdpwr 04-17-2012 12:46 PM

Thanks JazMan,

Lowes near me sells MAPEI, but not that product.

I'd have to drive about 20-25 miles to get it at Lumber Liquidators or other flooring store.

-Mario

JazMan 04-17-2012 01:09 PM

That's great if you found someone who has it. Or you can grind the floor down. :eek: Did you check, are you saying LL has that product? That would be strange.

Wonder what qualifications & experience the person who told you to use chemicals had? :censored:

Jaz

m3rdpwr 04-17-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazMan (Post 901003)
That's great if you found someone who has it. Or you can grind the floor down. :eek: Did you check, are you saying LL has that product? That would be strange.

Wonder what qualifications & experience the person who told you to use chemicals had? :censored:

Jaz

According to the MAPEI website, they carry it.
Whether in stock or not is another question.

The chemical was a tile guy with experience who worked at Lowe's.
He hadn't steered me wrong on other things, but has since left.

What a pain!

Maybe I'll just put stick tile back in. :)

JazMan 04-17-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Maybe I'll just put stick tile back in.
WHAT? :eek:

You give up too easy.

Jaz

JetSwet 04-18-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3rdpwr

According to the MAPEI website, they carry it.
Whether in stock or not is another question.

The chemical was a tile guy with experience who worked at Lowe's.
He hadn't steered me wrong on other things, but has since left.

What a pain!

Maybe I'll just put stick tile back in. :)

I wouldnt give up that easy just because the guy at lows isn't there. The guys on this forum are well knowlaged and have been down this road with op like your self many of times.

m3rdpwr 04-18-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetSwet (Post 901607)
I wouldnt give up that easy just because the guy at lows isn't there. The guys on this forum are well knowlaged and have been down this road with op like your self many of times.


I realize and appreciate everything.

Just trying to find who has the product and getting it is going to be a pain.

-Me

JetSwet 04-18-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3rdpwr

I realize and appreciate everything.

Just trying to find who has the product and getting it is going to be a pain.

-Me

Call lows and ask if they have the mapei latex additive before going out there.

m3rdpwr 04-18-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetSwet (Post 901634)
Call lows and ask if they have the mapei latex additive before going out there.

They don't sell the primer JazMan mentioned.

They are only around the corner from me, and don't recall seeing that primer.

The additives they do sell for the thinset/mortar, but I was hoping to put down that primer first.

-Mario

JetSwet 04-18-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3rdpwr

I realize and appreciate everything.

Just trying to find who has the product and getting it is going to be a pain.

-Me

Call lows and ask if they have the mapei latex additive before going out there.

JazMan 04-18-2012 10:42 AM

That primer may not be easy to find, might have to order it. Maybe Dal Tile? We don't know where you are since you forgot to insert your location in your profile.

I would call Mapei to see if they can tell you who has that product. I would also ask their technical department if they recommend their Kerabond mixed with Keralastic for this purpose.

If you have a technical question, call 1-800-992-6273 (U.S. and Puerto Rico) or 1-800-361-9309 (Canada) to speak to a Technical Services Specialist for your type of flooring project.

Jaz


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved