Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #1

Share |

Tiling over a "Gooey" floor question

My neighbor pulled up some peel and stick squares in his bathroom floor in order to ceramic tile it. Its a very small (4'x6')rarely used bathroom, just a toilet and sink.

The plywood floor is covered with a sticky adhesive film. I know we should cover the floor with some sort of subfloor in order to tile it, but that would end up making the floor alot higher than the rest of the house (making a step up into the bathroom). Pulling the existing subfloor out is probably a big project that we do not want to get into as well.

We were looking for a quick and dirty way to tile this floor so my question to you guys:

Do you think we could use some sort of mastik adhesive to bond ceramic tiles to the sticky floor? I am assuming that a thinset mortar will not bond to the petroleum based glue film that is on the floor now.

Thanks for your help guys
Gusaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #2

I would put down a sheet or two of lauan (sp) it comes in like 1/8 or 5/16 sheets that wont really add to your hight
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Tileguy

You CAN NOT install ceramic tile over luan or any 1/8" or 1/4" wood product for that matter. It's in all the books and on all the bags. Bad idea!

Quote:
Its a very small (4'x6')rarely used bathroom
So if it's that small remove the old underlayment and start over.

Quote:
I know we should cover the floor...but that would end up making the floor alot higher

Do you think we could use some sort of mastik adhesive to bond ceramic tiles to the sticky floor?

Quote:
We were looking for a quick and dirty way to tile
I doubt you will find your "quick and dirty way" here, at least I hope you don't. If you want "shoot from the hip" information you might try the Do-It-Yourself-Forums or HGTV or one of those places.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:53 AM   #4

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with a petroleum based tile adhesive over a less than perfect subfloor. I have been laying tile for years, but do almost exclusively new construction using only mortar. I was trying to help this poor guy out. I know if it were my house, I'd rip it all out and start fresh, but this guy can barely swing a hammer.

I don't need Bob Villa to tell me what to do on the DIY website.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
I don't need Bob Villa to tell me what to do on the DIY website.
Apparently you do or you wouldn't be here asking.

Why not tell the guy to do it by the book and protect everyone's butt? "Down and dirty" and "successful tile installations" are two things that don't go together.

Start by scraping up the glue and see what's left after that is done. There are in fact thinsets that can be used over old adhesive residue. A knowledgeable tile installer would know that.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 09-06-2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: couldn't spell "butt" the first time
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #6

Thx Bud, glad your on this site, your helpful
Old 09-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #7

Gusaroo:

Have you tried using mineral spirits to remove that old adhesive from the underlayment. I expect you'll find it dissolves the old adhesive.

Also, mineral spirits evaporates without leaving any residue, so if there is any residual tackiness on the plywood, it's because of residual adhesive, not because of residual solvent.

Shhh. Don't tell Bud Cline I suggested that. He goes monkey every time I do because he figures that no one can use a solvent to remove a glue from a floor without asphyxiating himself and blowing up his house and killing his whole family in the process. I'm convinced that most normal people have the presence of mind to provide plenty of ventilation to the work area, to work on ONE SMALL AREA at a time, to take a break and get some fresh air if they feel light headed from breathing in any solvent fumes and to NOT flood the floor with paint thinner and then light up a cigarette and have a nap. That is, I believe most people would use a modicum of common sense to accomplish this task in a safe manner.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #8

Thx Nestor.