Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

tiling over a concrete joint

Hi, I have extended my house, therefore a new concrete slab has been added to the existing slab. I want to tile the complete floor with ceramic tiles.

When the slabs were joined together there was an existing brick wall between them, I had to remove these brick (two courses) after the new slab was poured. The slabs were joined with steel bars under the two courses of bricks, there is a thickness of 300mm below where the bricks were. Now the bricks have been removed, the gap has been filled with concrete, there are now two joint lines between the slabs to a depth of about 200mm.
My questions are, a) can this be tiled over using a flexible adhesive only? or b) does the complete floor have to be screeded over with a morter base?
My objective is to avoid cracking in the tiles. I have had Tiles look at the job, but they have given me advice saying that both ways are as good as each other, I'm confused not knowing which way to procede!

Thanks in anticipation.

dave60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

You can use a crack isolation membrain over the area. This is new concrete next to old. The new will probably settle and crack within a few years. I would find someone that knows about concrete to ask.
I doubt that the people doing the concrete will warrenty against cracks.

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Woodman58, do you know if this is available in Australia?
dave60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Woodsman has got it right. The other choice is kerdi ditra mat (check my spelling) You will have both of them down under.
masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

I love Ditra but, Ditra is not a crack isolation membrane. You still have to honor the cold joints.

Noble's CIS is the ticket. http://www.noblecompany.com/Products....aspx#products

Not sure if they'll ship it to OZ though.

I'm sure you have liquid applied membranes and easy to find there.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,128

I wouldn't do it at all.

I would cut tile to fit the location of the removed brick then install two soft-joints on either side of that tile. Make it a decoration kind of thing. Nothing you cover the splice with can be guaranteed not to crack the tile in that case. You must honor the new joint through the tile at the very least.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bud is absolutely right about making the cuts. A membrane will do what it says it'll do, BUT no membrane, whether sheet or liquid, will help if the slab drops or raises. Better to just make cuts and treat it as what it is. Be sure the gap is minimum 1/4" regardless of the selected grout space for the remaining area.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote