Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling over 1/4" plywood with linoleum

Our house was built in 2005. I am trying to replace linoleum in the entry way and install tile. I have my hardiebacker boards cut and ready to go. My current floor consists of 5/8" floor board-1/4" plywood and then linoleum. Everything I read is telling me to pull out the 1/4" plywood. I can't rip out the linoleum cause it is glued to the max. Do I have any options other than ripping out the plywood? I am also upset because the rest of the house (which we want to eventually do hardwood and more tile) has the same stuff...1/4" plywood and linoleum. I want to do this right even if it means the pain in the rear... Please help, and why would they do this? Is it to have a better adhesive to the linoleum? I'm also curious if the 1/4" plywood is the cause to a low spot in hallway...I can almost feel the two sheets of flooring under the carpet where they meet together. Sorry there is a lot here just figuring all this out and not too excited about it. Thanks

Gwarren82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:20 PM   #2

The 1/4" underlayment was put down, in order to have a smooth surface under the lino/vinyl. Regular plywood subflooring isn't smooth enough for vinyl/lino. without the 1/4 underlay, all of the grain lines would project through the lino.

I have 1/4" ply under my cement board....no problems so far. But, I also know that there are a bunch of fasteners.

5/8" subfloor seems a bit small. I'm sure one of the tile pros will be by to advise further. They'll also want to know your joist spacing, size, unsupported span, and species.

We have no way to know what's causing low spot in your hallway. You'd have to remove the carpet and pad, and take a look.

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #3

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #4

Even if you did (and you should) removed the 1/4, 5/8 is not suitable for tile. It's to thin.
Going to have to go over that with at least 3/8 A/C underlayment rated plywood.
A couple cost effective options to consider might be laminate or strip flooring that looks like tile.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
Tileguy

Hi Warren,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
My current floor consists of 5/8" floor board-1/4" plywood and then linoleum.
What is 5/8" floor board? Do you mean plywood subfloor by chance?

Quote:
I can't rip out the linoleum cause it is glued to the max.
Well, I doubt that very much but it doesn't matter cuz you should remove the 1/4" underlayment with the vinyl still attached.

Quote:
I am also upset because the rest of the house (which we want to eventually do hardwood and more tile) has the same stuff...1/4" plywood and linoleum. I want to do this right even if it means the pain in the rear... Please help, and why would they do this?
It's done that way because it's the right thing to do when installing most resilient floors.

The 1/4" should only be under vinyl, not under carpeting, but who knows? Underlayment is not gonna change, eliminate or cause low or high spots.

I see Seattle posted while I was writing. Answer the questions about how the framing is built. Try to determine the grade of the joists too.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #6

Good info thank you. I will have to double check the joists.

Tags
hardiebacker, linoleum, luan, plywood, tile