Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
DIY Expert in Training!

Share |

Tiling kitchen renovation questions?

Hey guys,

I am prepping to completely renovate my kitchen/dinning room. Right now it appears that we have linoleum flooring over thin plywood over subfloor all on wood joists. Looks like the thin plywood could be about 1/4". We intend to put down tile over cement board

Couple of questions if you could help:
1) I am going to assume I need to pull up the two layers and put down plywood for strength. Correct?
2) Tile in open area and under dishwasher, fridge, and oven but not under cabinets?
3) Should I put extra plywood under the cabinets to raise them up to the level of the tiles so the appliances will fit correctly?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Newbie Bill

I'm just a noob, but I'll take a stab at this.

If you are removing your cabinets anyway, then definitely raise the height of the cabinets. That will eliminate any issues you may have by not being able to remove your built in dishwasher because the main floor is higher than where the dishwasher is.

Whether you tile under the cabinets is your choice, you will hear advice each way. My opinion is if you tile under cabinets, future flooring changes are really hard.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drtbk4ever For This Useful Post:
Ivy (03-06-2010)
Old 03-05-2010, 02:19 AM   #3

If this is a pre 1980 home then take a sample of the flooring glue ESPECIALLY if it is black and have it tested for asbestos. You can find kits online and the cost is about 30.00

If it comes back negative then rip out the plywood and any particle board and go back with 1/2 inch backer board. don't skip steps on the install of this they are all important.

If it is positive what's your budget? Big call a pro small don't touch it and put 1/4 inch backer over it. again don't skip any steps and screw the heck out of it with screws long enough to reach the subfloor

You will have to watch your height for the dishwasher.
Five Arrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:20 AM   #4

I say lay the whole floor with tile first to get everything on an even level, but if you decide to install cabs first, then you must boost with plywood.
Here's a three page thread on the argument:
http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...=tile+cabinets
Dairylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:48 AM   #5

Installing the tile flooring first and under the cabs is much easier than cutting up to and around the installed cabinets. However, if you ever desire to change the floor it's a bear if the tile is under the cabs.

I recently grappled with this during a recent kitchen remodel. I opted to install the cabs first, spaced up accordingly with plywood strips. Then the tile was laid - with cuts up to and around the cabinets. I tiled into the areas for the diswasher and regrigerator. You have to be pretty tight up to the cabinets, bearing in mind the wood quarter round trim that covers where the cabs meet the tile is not very wide...
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vsheetz For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (03-06-2010)
Old 03-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
Ivy

Okay, I was going to post this question to the forum today. Renovating my whole kitchen and my son said to install the cabinets first and then lay the floor. I wanted to do it the other way, but his argument was the same as I have read in this thread... just in case you might want to put in new flooring in the future. Thanks!

Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote