DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tiling floor around bathtub

28K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  JazMan 
#1 ·
I will be re tiling the floor in my bathroom. I had a question regarding how to tile around the bathtub area. Is it best to tile right up to the side of the tub or should there be a grout line there? Does it make a functional difference or is it just aesthetic? I saw a contractor caulking around a tub on a laminate flooring, is this also done on tile? Not sure how this would look. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#3 ·
I agree the gap should be caulked. I do not recommend silicone though. Most people would make a royal mess of it, plus you're limited to the colors you can get.

I recommend leaving an 1/8" (+-) gap and using a caulk color to match the floor grout. Matching caulk is available from all grout manufacturers, including both unsanded and sanded varieties.

Jaz

#6 ·
Floating laminate floor ANYWHERE is a bad idea! It's cheap looking, sounding, feeling etc. It's possibly a half step up from vinyl is all. I mean it's fine, but some toot it as an upgrade premium floor, it is not. :whistling2:

Jaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.