Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling error around tub. Any suggestions?

Hey all, long time reader, first time poster. I was wondering if their may be a easy solution to my first tiling error around my tub.

I began to tile today around my tub and ended up with a problem. It was due to an installation issue with the durock last week. Anyway my finished tile sits on top of my tub lip. However the front of the tub, my tile has a 1/2 inch gap between itself and the tub lip at its worst spot. (I tried to post a pic but it won't allow iPhone pics to be uploaded) I know it should have gone over the lip preventing water to fall in the tub when it hits the tile, however was wondering if anyone had any solutions? I was thinking :

1. Use silicone caulking to seal the gap
2. I have some glass mosaic tile I could try to make some border with to cover the gap
3. Can the ceramic tile vinyl edgers be used?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Tile newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tile newbie View Post
Hey all, long time reader, first time poster. I was wondering if their may be a easy solution to my first tiling error around my tub.

I began to tile today around my tub and ended up with a problem. It was due to an installation issue with the durock last week. Anyway my finished tile sits on top of my tub lip. However the front of the tub, my tile has a 1/2 inch gap between itself and the tub lip at its worst spot. (I tried to post a pic but it won't allow iPhone pics to be uploaded) I know it should have gone over the lip preventing water to fall in the tub when it hits the tile, however was wondering if anyone had any solutions? I was thinking :

1. Use silicone caulking to seal the gap
2. I have some glass mosaic tile I could try to make some border with to cover the gap
3. Can the ceramic tile vinyl edgers be used?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Silicone will never work for that big a gap, a sure way to end up with subfloor and wall damage.
Trying to use a narrow row of tiles will at the bottom of the wall will fail, the tub moves a small amount and will cause the tiles to flex and crack or crack the grout.
If you talking about those cheap stick on vinyl mouldings, there just not going to stay stuck, been there done that.

Why was the wall not started at the bottom row?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #3

Location: Crusader House 2nd Floor 145 157 St Johns Street London UK
Smile

You can re-tile over the existing tile, or remove them and then tile over that concrete or mortar bed layer. I prefer to remove them, you'll often get a better feel for what you are dealing with and it'll last longer.
fangeos2 is offline   Reply With Quote