Tiling Entire Home - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Tiling entire home

My husband and I are getting ready to tile our entire home. Replacing the flooring is top priority. We have 4 dogs and because the carpet wasn't holding up well, we ripped it out and found ruined original 1930's wood flooring and partical board and damaged subfloor.

We found great porcelain tile that looks like wood and are planning to use it for the entire house. We live in VA so with weather changes and 4 dogs we know it'll hold up well but we are left with two big questions.

How will it do in resale?

Should we do radiant floor heating even though we are use to cold tile because we have tile some places in our home already?

Has anyone done this? Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Demolvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Tiling entire home

If you're doing the work yourself, you have a nightmare awaiting you - everything from replacing sub-floor to very likely needing to reinforce floor joists - and that's before you even consider radiant heat, or get to laying the tile.

If you're hiring the work done, it's going to cost an arm and a leg.

Also, unless I'm missing a trend, ceramic/porcelain tile is already less popular than it was 5 years ago. I'd bet that, 10 years from now, a lot of people will be removing that tile like we're now removing dark brown paneling. Personally, I really like tile, and have done a lot of it. But it's hard to deny what I'm seeing. In other words, don't bet on tile floors increasing the value of your home.

If I were you, I'd seriously pencil out the cost of this, versus the cost of simply replacing carpet. It's possible that you could replace your carpet 3-4 times for the money it'd cost you to do tile.

Advertisement

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
Demolvr (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #3

Tiling entire home

Its a style thats pretty steady but I'm seeing it more with the tile that looks like wood.

We are doing this ourselves. I love tiling and done it before. We have agreed that if we do floor heating we'll get that done professionally. Personally I'm not worried about value as I am with the upkeep. It can rain and snow in the same day here and with dogs nails and heavy traffic, I'm happy to just have to use a sniffer at the end of a busy work day.
The damage to the subfloor is mainly spots that are badly patched so its not even but thankfully there no creaking or sloping. The builders were just lazy and tried to hide it with carpet. They got an earful from me. We got a great deal on the tile $1.88 piece, better than the $4-$6 we saw online. We're going to do one room at a time so we don't kill our pockets. As far as coat, I'm hoping not to spend more than $5000 to $7000 on the flooring and that without radiant flooring.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

Tiling entire home

If your doing something to your house based on resale value....then don't bother.....

Do it because you want to....chances are, no matter what you do in your house....people are going to want to change it...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Demolvr (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 712

Tiling entire home

This is going to a whole lot of work.
Tell us what size floor joist you have, the spans, and spacing.
All the partical board is going to have to go at least.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Tiling entire home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolvr View Post
How will it do in resale?
I would not enjoy a house that was all tiled flooring.

That said, I love having tile at every entrance and in the wet rooms.
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #7

Tiling entire home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
If your doing something to your house based on resale value....then don't bother.....

Do it because you want to....chances are, no matter what you do in your house....people are going to want to change it...

That's true. We loved alot of this house but we are changing most of it. We both use to live in San Diego, CA so we're kinda going to make this home like back home..
Old 03-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
JOATMON

Tiling entire home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolvr View Post
That's true. We loved alot of this house but we are changing most of it. We both use to live in San Diego, CA so we're kinda going to make this home like back home..
And you live in VA now? LOL...reminds my of my wife's best friend...she and her hubby moved from CA to VA....they just moved back here last year....and are so glad to be back....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 03-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #9

Tiling entire home

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
This is going to a whole lot of work.
Tell us what size floor joist you have, the spans, and spacing.
All the partical board is going to have to go at least.
I have not removed the boards yet. Still making sure we have everything.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

Tiling entire home

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakany
I would not enjoy a house that was all tiled flooring.
That's understandable especially to people living in cold weather states. For most others, it's the only way to go.

If the alternative is carpeting for some of the areas, it's a big mistake. Sure it's warmer and soft, but do you have any idea how unsanitary carpeting is, and especially with pets? And then the kids spend half their time on the floor. yikes. And I won't mention all the allergies carpeting adds to.

Hard floors are best if within the budget. If not, wait to save more money. Tile and wood adds value too.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
paintdrying (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
JOATMON

Tiling entire home

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
That's understandable especially to people living in cold weather states. For most others, it's the only way to go.

If the alternative is carpeting for some of the areas, it's a big mistake. Sure it's warmer and soft, but do you have any idea how unsanitary carpeting is, and especially with pets? And then the kids spend half their time on the floor. yikes. And I won't mention all the allergies carpeting adds to.

Hard floors are best if within the budget. If not, wait to save more money. Tile and wood adds value too.

Jaz
I absolutely agree.....people like carpet because it's relatively cheap and easy maintenance...translation, doesn't show dirt.

Yes...it can be warmer....but then again, an area rug can do much the same function.

Side note....since I've been doing the 2-story addition to my house, I've also insulated some of the floors in the existing house....even with hardwood floors, it's made a big difference in temperature. Once all the work is done, the only carpet in the house is going to one hallway....everything else will be hardwood or tile....

Old 03-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
Floor Installer

Rewards Points: 154

Tiling entire home

Just be aware, if you have any problems with your back, legs or feet, tile will make it worse. And if you work on a concrete floor and come home to live on tile all the time, it can make you have problems.
sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 628

Tiling entire home

I support you 100% on this.

I've done a couple homes with all tile except the bedrooms, and 5 homes with all tile. Two of these even had tile on the staircase to the basement.

Now some breaking news:

1. One can put carpeting on top of tile. Some call this a rug.

2. Shoes can be removed upon entering a home. And don't worry, you can put them on again when you leave.

3. There are things called slippers. You can also call them house shoes.

So if you have been mucking out some horse stalls, you don't need to walk through the house wearing your boots.

4. Don't wear your slippers if your feet are up on the furniture. Think of this as the second level of being inside.

5. Don't wear your slippers or socks if you are in the bed or the shower/tub. Think of this as the third level of being inside.

6. A central vac is your friend, as is a 5 gallon mop bucket with a wringer and a commercial style mop.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (03-09-2013), framer52 (03-09-2013), JazMan (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

Tiling entire home

They make some sort of wire mesh to heat the tiles. Carpet is a major health hazard, not to mention gross
paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #15
Floor Installer

Rewards Points: 154

Tiling entire home

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
They make some sort of wire mesh to heat the tiles. Carpet is a major health hazard, not to mention gross
Read some of the university studies on airborne allergies before you condemn carpet.

"In fact, some studies show that carpeted rooms may actually have fewer airborne allergies.

A story that appeared on a Houston, Texas television station website and dozens of other websites referred to a 2002 Research Triangle Institute and University of North Carolina study of two North Carolina schools -- one with tile floors, and one with carpets. Investigators found that airborne allergens existed in higher concentration in the school with tiles. The article continues:

"Why? Carpet can hold a large amount of soil before it looks dirty. While it traps dust and dirt, it also holds potential allergens like mold spores and dander. Allergens cannot cause symptoms unless they become airborne and are able to be inhaled… Once trapped, allergens can be easily removed with vacuuming and steam cleaning.”

Advertisement

Last edited by sam floor; 03-09-2013 at 12:20 AM.
sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floors , heating , resale , tile , tiling