Tiling An Area That Changes Width, Where To Start? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

Tiling an area that changes width, where to start?

I know in a square room you can divide the room in half both ways and you have your center line to tile on, what if you room changes width multiple times? How do you determine where to start from? The plan attached is the area I need to tile. It is also divided with a knee wall for a kitchen bar area...

how would you go about starting this? I've tiled rectangular rooms before, but this changing width one I am not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Tiling an area that changes width, where to start?-tilearea.jpg  

Advertisement

House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

That is a challenge-----does the tile end at another floor surface?

If so that is a major show edge---so ,using a chalk line and a ruler , snap a line and start measuring to the wall---most tile setters use a grid that contains 2 tiles and two grout lines---

When you get to the wall, How does it look?

Snap lines in all areas and measure---see ho it looks.

The only time it is ideal to have the cuts even on the left and right is a hall way or other open area where both sides can be seen at the same time---

What size tile do you have?

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 10

What size tile and grout line thickness?
Property Medics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #4

This is 12"x12" tile and 6x6 in a pinwheel pattern

1/4" grout line I think is what the other rooms where tiled at, forget have to go look at the old spacers again

the top edge of this will be transition from tile to carpet, it will have one of those metal tile edges embedded to make the edge perfectly straight
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Yowsa!

Start with good design/drafting software and a bottle of aspirin.

Obviously the transition area is going to be the most visible and therefore most important.
The only suggestion I would have is to rate which walls are most visible and therefore more important and disregard what walls are NOT.
For instance if this is a kitchen and you are tiling before installing cabinets you probably won't be worrying about these areas.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Yowsa!

Start with good design/drafting software and a bottle of aspirin.

Obviously the transition area is going to be the most visible and therefore most important.
The only suggestion I would have is to rate which walls are most visible and therefore more important and disregard what walls are NOT.
For instance if this is a kitchen and you are tiling before installing cabinets you probably won't be worrying about these areas.
you got the cabinet part right, one of the reasons I wanted to tile first was to have any problems at a couple walls covered by cabinets if there was any

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueBSH For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-29-2013)