Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling a 12x12 and 6x6 pinwheel

I am going to be tiling a 10x24 entryway floor with 12x12 and 6x6 Glazed porcelain tiles.

This will be laid out in a pinwheel pattern, in this design:

http://www.getstile.com/products/pdf...%20Pattern.pdf

second pattern on that pdf (80% 12x12, 20% 6x6)

This is being laid on a concrete slab, so deflection isn't really an issue...

what would you suggest would be a good notch size for the trowel, and what would be good for the grout line size?

House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Tileguy

Actually only the first pattern in that link is a 'Pinwheel', the others are Hopscotch. But it doesn't matter for your question.

You need a 1/4x3/8x1/4" for those tiles. Set a few, then remove them to confirm for at least 80% coverage. You may want to also butter the tile too. The idea is end up with a minimum of 3/32" cured thinset. Be sure the floor is flat before you start.

The grout width depends on your taste and the quality of the tiles you buy. The minimum is 1/8" if you buy a high quality tiles. If you end up with $2 tiles, you will have to go with 1/4" or wider. What's your plan for the tiles?

What specific products will you be using? I mean mainly the thinset. Is the floor bare concrete?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Actually only the first pattern in that link is a 'Pinwheel', the others are Hopscotch. But it doesn't matter for your question.

You need a 1/4x3/8x1/4" for those tiles. Set a few, then remove them to confirm for at least 80% coverage. You may want to also butter the tile too. The idea is end up with a minimum of 3/32" cured thinset. Be sure the floor is flat before you start.

The grout width depends on your taste and the quality of the tiles you buy. The minimum is 1/8" if you buy a high quality tiles. If you end up with $2 tiles, you will have to go with 1/4" or wider. What's your plan for the tiles?

What specific products will you be using? I mean mainly the thinset. Is the floor bare concrete?

Jaz
The floor is bare concrete right now. I wanted to keep the grout line around the 1/4" size.

The only thinset brands I have access to easily here is MAPEI and TEC.. The tiles are a midrange I think Porcelain tile.
House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Tileguy

Both Mapei and Tec are excellent brands. They, like everyone else make what they'd categorize as good - better - best. So naming a brand tells me nothing.

The tiles are what you call 'mid-range'. So is that $4-5 a ft.? Is that what you'd consider mid-range?

Perhaps you didn't think of it (?), but tiles are not necessarily square, tiles can vary in size. Cheap square tiles can be rectangular by as much as 1/8" or even more sometimes.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #5

I was looking at using a polymer modified mortar from TEC.

I consider the tiles I have to be midrange, the most expensive tile we can buy around here is only $4 a sq ft, these came in at about $2.50 a sq ft... I'm sure I could go to a high end tile store and get more expensive, but I'm only basing that on what is immediately around me.

Yeah, I know the tiles aren't always square because of how they make them, shrinkage, etc.. These ones seem to be pretty consistent in size by comparing them ontop of each other
Old 04-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
I was looking at using a polymer modified mortar from TEC.
OK, fine. Unless you're installing over Ditra uncoupling membrane, you have no choice, it has to be a modified mortar for porcelain tiles. They probably make 20 kinds.

Sounds like you're well informed about the tiles and if 1/4" gap, (will look wider once grouted), is fine with you, go ahead.

How flat is the floor, (did you check yet?) any cracks?

Jaz

Old 04-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
OK, fine. Unless you're installing over Ditra uncoupling membrane, you have no choice, it has to be a modified mortar for porcelain tiles. They probably make 20 kinds.

Sounds like you're well informed about the tiles and if 1/4" gap, (will look wider once grouted), is fine with you, go ahead.

How flat is the floor, (did you check yet?) any cracks?

Jaz
Didn't realize there was that many types of mortar.

Floor seems pretty flat, a few 1/16" to 1/8" dips in it, but nothing major.. checked for bumps and dips with a 8ft metal level. No cracks in the floor, no moisture problems, the concrete is 7" thick, and has a plastic vapor barrier under it plus 2" of XPS foam