Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Lightbulb

Tile with a wood trim?

Here is my current problem.

A close friend's home was nearly ruined when sewer pipes busted and flooded her home. It's a very big house, and we are slowly working with the insurance company to make some choices for the renovation work.

There is a huge downstairs formal living room with old real wood paneling and wood beams on the ceiling. The carpet had to be torn out and she is getting $24/yard for it. Is this a decent amount? It was kind of an outdated thick shag.

She wants to replace the floor with something more fit for a colonial style house and we were thinking diagonal 16x16 tile or natural stone with thin wood planks inbetween the diagonal tiles. My main question is would this be a very very expensive job since tile would have to be laid diagonally and then wood trim inbetween the tiles or has anyone out there ever come across some tile that has a wood trim that borders it that would be an easier install? Or a vinyl or laminate that looked half decent that looked like this? Thanks so much.

trick29392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Tile with a wood trim?

ok, first of all, this is a DIY site, not a "how much" site. If you're looking for assistance on how to lay a floor, you're in the right place. If your questions are mainly about money, get a few local free estimates. They will be your best guide.

Now, you're kind of all over the place with the floor suggestions. From a tile/wood combo to half decent vinyl

I would start asking for suggestions of appropriate flooring in a colonial style house. After you've gotten some recommendations, you can start shopping price locally and asking for design ideas here.

Personally, I think wood planks when I hear colonial......that's just my opinion.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:20 AM   #3

Tile with a wood trim?

$24 is not a lot of money for carpet now. 8 years ago you could get a half decent carpet installed with pad for that money, but the price of oil.....

If the insurance has given you $24 for the carpet, $4 for pad and a fair regional price for labor that would help a lot.
HomeDepot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #4

Tile with a wood trim?

I have seen this done once in a very upscale type home.I did get a chance to talk to the HO and was told it took about twice as long to install as compared to just a tile job also said it was about 3X more expensive labor I imagine.I would think if one had the time and patiences to do this that getting everything the same hight would be one of the biggest concerns.I was told that to accomplish this on the above mention home that the installer glued the oak floor and routored the edge so the tile sat in the wood and was very carefull with the thinest.I would have liked to have talked to the installer but I was told he had moved.I looked fantastic but I don't think I would have wanted to do it I don't think I have enough patiences for it.

as for the price she got for replacement of the carpet unless she had a pure replacement policy I would say she got a decent price for it considering the adjuster would take into consideration the style and age so he probibly prorated it.I dont think I would cry to much over the 24$ a yard just my opinion though
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote