Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tile under the shower?

I am going to put ceramic tile in a 5'x7' bathroom that currently has a vinyl floor (that we put in about 12 years ago) and I have to also replace the shower since my ex-husband didn't do such a hot job putting in the kit. I am thinking about an acrylic base with tiled walls, but I need to know if I should tile all the way up to the drain and set the new shower base ON the tile or just up to the where the shower will be.

Lynn_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tile under the shower?

Hmmm. An acrylic shower base is a great way for a DIYer to build a shower floor. No, you don't tile under them. You strip any tile or flooring off, down to bare plywood. You then would have a pretty good amount of re-plumbing on your hands...Removal of the old drain and tying in the new drain to the new pan. You then tile the walls on top of properly waterproofed cement backerboard.

You cannot take an existing tile shower and add a pan without total demolition of the existing base and at least partial demolition of the current wall tiles at the bottom.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Tile under the shower?

Thanks. I don't have tile there now, it's just a lousy-looking fiberglass surround kit and I am anticipating having to replace drywall, as I suspect it might be damp back there (Ex-husband's shortcut-installed right on reg. drywall). I also figured I would have to redo the drain, as it does leak from time to time and I am getting a real plumber for that. I was just concerned that there might be an issue with that little lip on the bottom of the new pans interfering with the tile, but I suppose I could just caulk/grout that, eh?
Lynn_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom tile question, shower drain, tile