Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #1

Share |

Tile Under New Cabinets?

Hi Everyone, not sure if I should post this here or in the "remodeling section" but here it goes...

I recently purchased my first home. I am in the process of re-doing the kitchen. I plan on ripping out the old cabinets and the existing hardwood flooring (I have to repair the sub-floor where the dish washer leaked). I plan on putting down tile. My question is should I put down tile first over the whole kitchen floor then install the new cabinets on top? Or should I have the cabinets installed and then put down the tiles?

Thanks,
Monkey

monkeystomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Love for Construction

Tile Under New Cabinets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeystomach View Post
Hi Everyone, not sure if I should post this here or in the "remodeling section" but here it goes...

I recently purchased my first home. I am in the process of re-doing the kitchen. I plan on ripping out the old cabinets and the existing hardwood flooring (I have to repair the sub-floor where the dish washer leaked). I plan on putting down tile. My question is should I put down tile first over the whole kitchen floor then install the new cabinets on top? Or should I have the cabinets installed and then put down the tiles?

Thanks,
Monkey
Why spend the extra time and money on tile that won't be seen?

<*(((>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #3

Tile Under New Cabinets?

[quote=monkeystomach;400399] My question is should I put down tile first over the whole kitchen floor then install the new cabinets on top? Or should I have the cabinets installed and then put down the tiles?
Monkey,

Whenever I am installing tile in a kitchen I am installing, I always do the whole floor. It is cheaper for the customer not to pay me for the extra time it takes to not only cut around all the cabinets, but it also the extra time when grouting and in generel being more careful because you are working around the new cabinets. A couple extra boxes of tile are a lot cheaper than my labor. With nothing in the way I can lay a lot more tile a lot quicker.
It also makes for an easier job when installing the base cabinets. Better support for the base cabinets, easier shimming, etc. Also allows for cabinet layout changes down the road without worrying about covering the same footprint.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #4

Tile Under New Cabinets?

full floor as per above.

have some OSB on the floor during the cabinet install to avoid issues with dropped tools. stuff happens.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote