Tile Subfloor - Clearance Issue - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tile subfloor - clearance issue

Hi, I've spent a bunch of time searching the forum and haven't found an answer to my problem. Details first:

Job: 1/4" thick 12x12 Ceramic tile in a 6x11 foyer in a 100+ yr old home

Existing floor: 3/4" by 3" t&g hardwood flooring nailed perpendicular to 2x8 joists (that are actually 2" by 8") @ 16" OC. Joist span is 6'. Existing floor is sound, sturdy and flat, but has a 1/2" over 6' slope from the girder to the outside wall. Foyer leads in from a well covered front porch and I don't anticipate any moisture issues beyond occasional wet boots.

Yes, I know the BEST option is 5/8 ply, SLC, thinset and CBU then tile...BUT my front door only gives me 3/4" clearance over the existing floor surface. I know that Thinset and CBU over the existing t&g is a no-no and my time and budget do not allow for either tearing up/replacing t&g with 3/4" ply or for taking out and resetting the front door. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Scoutsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,636

Quote:
I know the BEST option is 5/8 ply, SLC, thinset and CBU then tile
Where on earth are you getting THAT information? That would never work!

With all the restrictions you are imposing maybe you should be looking at a nice vinyl sheet floor covering. Some of them look like tile.

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Since your time and budget won't allow you to do it right, how about screwing cement board to the subfloor and use a flexbond thinset to put the tiles down.
cep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
how about screwing cement board to the subfloor and use a flexbond thinset to put the tiles down.
Now see...this is the kind of post that gets me in trouble from time to time because I just can't always control my angry comments.

If that statement is suggesting that the cement board be attached directly to 3/4" X 3" T&G slat lumber subfloor then that idea is just plain wrong and should never be done, ever, never ever.
tpolk (03-05-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

This is a DIY website. As professionals we are here to help in the best way we can with their problems. There are many reasons for them doing it themselves, (expence of hiring someone, or they just want to do it themselves). It is not always the proper way to do things but, to the best of our ability we should try to help them. They are going to do it anyway. I have been installing for 28 years and have seen all types of flooring installed by DIYers. It does not always look the best, but it was done by them and they like it. Most of the time ceramic tile was not done to specs, but it was still solid with no cracking tile or grout.
That said, to get back to what we are here for (helping others). In your situation if the floor is flat and sound I would think about using Ditra. It's only 1/4 inch thick. I KNOW YOU SHOULD NOT GO OVER HARDWOOD. I would screw the planks down where there is even hint of them being looose. Mortar the Ditra down to their specifications. And then install tile. This should give you the clearance you need. Good luck.

Last edited by woodman58; 03-05-2011 at 10:00 AM.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
woodman58: "I KNOW YOU SHOULD NOT GO OVER HARDWOOD."
Is that what YOU are now suggesting here?
You should know better than that, if you don't you should. You CAN NOT install DITRA directly over hardwood slats either. Why do you people insist on posting suggestions that are blatantly against the recommendations of the industry and would cause a risky installation.

That said, to get back to what we are here for (helping others).

To Others:
If you follow the manufacturers recommendations you will realize success. The above suggestion appears nowhere in the manufacturers recommendations. They don't condone the method. The above suggestion appears nowhere in any of the industry recommendations.

OK there! Now we are back to what we are here for.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Yes I know the best remedy would be to remove the hardwood. To them this does not sound like an option. They are going to go over the hardwood. All we can do is try to help them make it thru the process as best as we can. I am not trying to get into an argument as to right and wrong way of doing things. Just trying to help them.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Tileguy

When you post NONSENSE here for one person to see, EVERYBODY for years to come sees it. Why not be accurate in your advice? People don't usually want the truth when "cheap" and "path-of-least-resistance" is offered to them. You are offering cheap and path-of-least-resistance.

That's okay, you go ahead, but I intend to let them know what the probable consequences could be.

No arguing here either, just the facts man, just the facts.

You could change your user name to ceramicman58 and maybe I would respect you more in the morning.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #9

I never said it was the right way to do it. If fact I said that his time and budget would not allow him to do it right. I was just giving an idea that might work. Don't take a quote out of context.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
Tileguy

Quote:
I never said it was the right way to do it. If fact I said that his time and budget would not allow him to do it right. I was just giving an idea that might work. Don't take a quote out of context.
Nothing has been taken "out of context", it is all still there for all to see. If you don't want to be criticized for the advice you give, then don't give people bad advice. People come up will all kinds of excuses for taking shortcuts. That's their business but others see that advice and think it is OK and it isn't. All you can do is suggest the correct way to do something, what they do with that information is up to them.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 03-05-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
Tileguy

Quote:
58: "In your situation if the floor is flat and sound I would think about using Ditra. It's only 1/4 inch thick."
Yet another correction and another example of bad information. Since it is obvious that height may be an issue this is all the more reason to be giving correct information and advice.

DITRA does not come 1/4" thick.
DITRA does come in both 1/8" and 5/16".
Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Tileguy

I apologize for being so right so often. I just can't help myself.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #13

I was just reading these posts and I'm a DIY'er addict and typically do alot of research before starting anything, but not being a pro, I easily miss stuff. I can tell you that the ONLY reason I come here is to learn what would be acceptable by the industry "norm" or standard. It's just me, and an opinion. But if I can't do it to standard, I won't do it myself. At minimum, I want to know so I can make the decision. Regardless, thanks to the folks who help us newbies on here.
stoneda7086 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stoneda7086 For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (03-08-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #14

When you only took the quote, without the part about him not having the time or budget to do it right, you took it out of context. Context in this case is that he did not have the time or money to do it right. So you were wrong in taking it out of context. I was trying be helpfull, by offering an idea that might work. You should try being helpfull and offer a suggestion to deal with his problem. I have no problem being with someone pointing out that my idea is not the right way to do something, if I had said it was the right way to do it. In this case I started with saying he was not able to do it right because of budget and time.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #15

cep89 - yea, I can see that perspective too, don't think I'd mention the time/budget issue if my intentions were strict..

Advertisement

stoneda7086 is offline   Reply With Quote