DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

tile spacers

5K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  oh'mike 
#1 ·
what size tile spacers do I use for 16" tile on a kitchen floor?

#4 ·
From the looks of things, the OP is new to tiling. That said, I think that spacers could be helpful for him. They might keep him from overlooking something and making a big mistake (like not noticing a tile that moved a bit after he laid it).

For 16x16 tiles I'd probably use 3/16th, or maybe 1/4 spacers. Less grout on a kitchen floor is probably a good thing. Also, be sure to use sanded grout at these widths.

#5 ·
measure the tiles, they're probably not a full 16x16. I just laid some in my kitchen, they were 1/4 inch short of a full 16", which means 1/4" spacers work nicely.

As mentioned above though, I use them as a guide, keep the tiles straight even if it means deviating slightly from the spacers.

#7 ·
measure the tiles, they're probably not a full 16x16. I just laid some in my kitchen, they were 1/4 inch short of a full 16", which means 1/4" spacers work nicely.
That fact that those tiles are 15.75" has nothing to do with why 1/4" grout space is good for you. Each unit does not have to measure any particular amount. The people who make those tiles could care less about inches, they are 40 cm which the way the most of the rest of the world measures things.

Jaz

#8 ·
That fact that those tiles are 15.75" has nothing to do with why 1/4" grout space is good for you. Each unit does not have to measure any particular amount. The people who make those tiles could care less about inches, they are 40 cm which the way the most of the rest of the world measures things.

Jaz
Who said anything about what grout space is "good for you"? I said it works out nicely and makes laying out with a grid very simple. And since there's nothing wrong with using 1/4" spacing for that size tile, it would seem to be the simple choice for a beginner.

Whether he chooses 1/4 spacing, 3/16, 3/8, whatever...is up to him. I said having tiles that are likely 15 3/4" means using a 1/4" spacing works out nicely laying it out.

#10 ·
Works out nicely for WHAT? That makes no real sense in the overall scheme of things!!! Any dimension one would conjure up would "work out nicely".:eek:
Really? You advise laying out a grid. Do you think a beginner (which OP clearly is) would have the same ease laying out a grid where everything is 16"? Or where everything is 15 61/64"?

Yes you COULD lay out a grid where all the grout lines were precisely 37/128ths...but why not make it easy on yourself if you're just starting out? It's not as if OP asked if he could use 3/16 and I told him no. If you've got a reasonable measurement that makes for a very simple grid...I say go for it and simplify as much as possible and put your focus on laying the tile correctly.

#13 ·
I'm just tossing a bit of water on the fire to keep the flames down---

And no this is not aimed at you alone---When I hear raised voices I yell at everyone in the room.

I try not to criticize publicly---If I have something to say like that --it's in a PM----Mike----

#14 ·
I'm off to Lowe's or HD to get myself one of those tape measurer that is broken down to 1/128ths. Then to the eye doctor for magnifiers.:eek:

Jaz

#15 ·
Really? You advise laying out a grid. Do you think a beginner (which OP clearly is) would have the same ease laying out a grid where everything is 16"? Or where everything is 15 61/64"?

Yes you COULD lay out a grid where all the grout lines were precisely 37/128ths...but why not make it easy on yourself if you're just starting out? It's not as if OP asked if he could use 3/16 and I told him no. If you've got a reasonable measurement that makes for a very simple grid...I say go for it and simplify as much as possible and put your focus on laying the tile correctly.
That is just asinine and ridiculous rationale, it's outrageous.
Dump all the water you want Mod., I won't be here to get wet.
Some of these people are nuts these days and getting worse.
:scooter:

#16 ·
That is just asinine and ridiculous rationale, it's outrageous.
Dump all the water you want Mod., I won't be here to get wet.
Some of these people are nuts these days and getting worse.
:scooter:
It's the internet,Bud.

There is a huge difference in the advice given by our posters---

The best is based on real life experience-----

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.