Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #1

Share |

tile spacers

what size tile spacers do I use for 16" tile on a kitchen floor?

dileol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Tileguy

tile spacers

You don't.

Layout your floor in a grid fashion by striking chalk lines in both directions. Lay your tiles to the chalk line. Tile spacers will only cause you problems and they aren't necessary at all.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #3

tile spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You don't.

Layout your floor in a grid fashion by striking chalk lines in both directions. Lay your tiles to the chalk line. Tile spacers will only cause you problems and they aren't necessary at all.
Yeah, take it from someone who just got hosed by using them. They're now a guidance, but now I make the final say in where the tile lands rather than the spacers. They seriously screw you up when you get tiles that are inconsistent in size.
Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

tile spacers

From the looks of things, the OP is new to tiling. That said, I think that spacers could be helpful for him. They might keep him from overlooking something and making a big mistake (like not noticing a tile that moved a bit after he laid it).

For 16x16 tiles I'd probably use 3/16th, or maybe 1/4 spacers. Less grout on a kitchen floor is probably a good thing. Also, be sure to use sanded grout at these widths.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #5

tile spacers

measure the tiles, they're probably not a full 16x16. I just laid some in my kitchen, they were 1/4 inch short of a full 16", which means 1/4" spacers work nicely.

As mentioned above though, I use them as a guide, keep the tiles straight even if it means deviating slightly from the spacers.
hoops902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Tileguy

tile spacers

Quote:
I just laid some in my kitchen, they were 1/4 inch short of a full 16", which means 1/4" spacers work nicely.
I don't understand that! Three sixteenth inch spacers would work nicely also, so would 1/8" spacers, so would 3/8" spacers.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Tileguy

tile spacers

Quote:
measure the tiles, they're probably not a full 16x16. I just laid some in my kitchen, they were 1/4 inch short of a full 16", which means 1/4" spacers work nicely.
That fact that those tiles are 15.75" has nothing to do with why 1/4" grout space is good for you. Each unit does not have to measure any particular amount. The people who make those tiles could care less about inches, they are 40 cm which the way the most of the rest of the world measures things.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:18 PM   #8

tile spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
That fact that those tiles are 15.75" has nothing to do with why 1/4" grout space is good for you. Each unit does not have to measure any particular amount. The people who make those tiles could care less about inches, they are 40 cm which the way the most of the rest of the world measures things.

Jaz
Who said anything about what grout space is "good for you"? I said it works out nicely and makes laying out with a grid very simple. And since there's nothing wrong with using 1/4" spacing for that size tile, it would seem to be the simple choice for a beginner.

Whether he chooses 1/4 spacing, 3/16, 3/8, whatever...is up to him. I said having tiles that are likely 15 3/4" means using a 1/4" spacing works out nicely laying it out.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #9
Tileguy

tile spacers

Quote:
Whether he chooses 1/4 spacing, 3/16, 3/8, whatever...is up to him. I said having tiles that are likely 15 3/4" means using a 1/4" spacing works out nicely laying it out.
Works out nicely for WHAT? That makes no real sense in the overall scheme of things!!! Any dimension one would conjure up would "work out nicely".
Old 10-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #10

tile spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Works out nicely for WHAT? That makes no real sense in the overall scheme of things!!! Any dimension one would conjure up would "work out nicely".
Really? You advise laying out a grid. Do you think a beginner (which OP clearly is) would have the same ease laying out a grid where everything is 16"? Or where everything is 15 61/64"?

Yes you COULD lay out a grid where all the grout lines were precisely 37/128ths...but why not make it easy on yourself if you're just starting out? It's not as if OP asked if he could use 3/16 and I told him no. If you've got a reasonable measurement that makes for a very simple grid...I say go for it and simplify as much as possible and put your focus on laying the tile correctly.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
DIY staff

tile spacers

Relax!!! This is not a battle to die for---a good debate is fine--a pizzing match will get all this tossed in the trash---Moderator
Old 10-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #12

tile spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Relax!!! This is not a battle to die for---a good debate is fine--a pizzing match will get all this tossed in the trash---Moderator
Is this directed at me? I don't see anyone getting even relatively worked up in this thread.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
DIY staff

tile spacers

I'm just tossing a bit of water on the fire to keep the flames down---

And no this is not aimed at you alone---When I hear raised voices I yell at everyone in the room.

I try not to criticize publicly---If I have something to say like that --it's in a PM----Mike----
Old 10-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #14
Tileguy

tile spacers

I'm off to Lowe's or HD to get myself one of those tape measurer that is broken down to 1/128ths. Then to the eye doctor for magnifiers.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #15
Tileguy

tile spacers

Quote:
Really? You advise laying out a grid. Do you think a beginner (which OP clearly is) would have the same ease laying out a grid where everything is 16"? Or where everything is 15 61/64"?

Yes you COULD lay out a grid where all the grout lines were precisely 37/128ths...but why not make it easy on yourself if you're just starting out? It's not as if OP asked if he could use 3/16 and I told him no. If you've got a reasonable measurement that makes for a very simple grid...I say go for it and simplify as much as possible and put your focus on laying the tile correctly.
That is just asinine and ridiculous rationale, it's outrageous.
Dump all the water you want Mod., I won't be here to get wet.
Some of these people are nuts these days and getting worse.