Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2009, 11:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tile size in bathroom

I am completely remodeling my bathroom. Walls and ceiling are gone, exposing bare studs. I am picking out ceramic tiles for the floor and have a couple of questions.
1. Should the Hardie backer board and tile go completely under tub, or install tub first and then install hardi backer board and tile up to the edge of the tub. I have asked many people for advise on this and it really seems like it is each person's personal opinion. I am just trying to do what is best.
2. The bathroom is not very big (5x8). Which size tile would be best for the floor 13x13 or 6.5x6.5. I am not sure if one size or the other would make the space look larger.
Thanks for your advise!!!

vm520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Tile size in bathroom

Our 5ft x 8ft full bath uses 1 x 1 ceramic tiles. Our 4ft x 6ft half bath uses the same 16-inch x 16-inch grouted vinyl tile as the adjoining kitchen area. Both rooms have most of the open floor covered by throw rugs for warmth and noise control. Neither room looks strange as result of tile size.

The bigger the tile, the stronger the floor must be to resist flexing which will crack ceramic tiles. Floor stiffness may be the deciding factor.

MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Tile size in bathroom

Tub installed first--Then backer board and tile.

I rather like 12x12 in a small bath -but any size can look good-It's a matter of personal taste.
--MIKE---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,134

Tile size in bathroom

Quote:
The bigger the tile, the stronger the floor must be to resist flexing which will crack ceramic tiles.
Not at all true!

All ceramic tile has the same structural requirements to keep the grout and tiles from cracking. The deflection of the space is the important factor with any ceramic tile.

Typically tubs are installed on the subfloor but it wouldn't hurt to install the Hardi first since you have that opportunity, then the tub, then the tile. You would never want the tub on top of the tile.

Professional decorators say the larger tile will help to make the room (look) bigger.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
Tile / Stone Contractor

Rewards Points: 10

Tile size in bathroom

Larger tile can make a smaller space look bigger. If the floor tile is installed on-point (diagonally) it will also help the room to look larger.
TileArt is offline   Reply With Quote