DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tile a shower base?

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  JJC 
#1 ·
Hi, i would love some helpful advice on what is the best way to tile a shower base with approx 2" stone tiles in a 12x12 set,
and how much of a degree of slant di i need for drainage,
Thanks.

#2 ·
You need 2 mud bases for a shower with the membrane sandwiched in between. (Unless you do a Kerdi shower).:yes: The first layer is called the pre-slope and is slopped a min. of 1/4" per ft. It'll match up with the drain on the low side and be about 1 1/4" thick around the perimeter, or thicker. The top layer of deck mud should be about 1 1/4" thick too.

Building a shower is the most difficult tile job you're likely to do, there are many ways to do it wrong. Even most so called pros mess up. You can start by going here and look around. http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

Jaz

#6 ·
jazman, do you have a recommend source for the kerdi products? Local places don't have kerdi...even tile stores. When I ask them...I get the deer in the headlights look. :eek:

I'm getting ready to build a new shower and need it an the corners, don't think I'll use the ditra.

Rip

#7 ·
Kerdi & Ditra

Call Schluter and ask where you can get their products. You can get the 800 # from their web site. Schluter.com
Also Kerdi is for wet areas (showers etc.) and Ditra is for floors. It can be made waterproof with the use of Kerdibands on the joints of Ditra.
Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.