Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tile Questions - Please help!

I am tiling a small bathroom. I can't decide which tile to use. Advice would be appreciated. Here are my three options and concerns.

1. Saltillo / Terra Cotta
- I LOVE this vintage look. It's so much richer looking than other tile. I
Love the way you see it in old french/italian/spanish homes. I'm concerned because I know you have to have thicker grout lines, and after time you have to re-seal it. I'm also concerned about what potential buyers might think of it when time comes to sell.

2. Small square ceramic tiles on a mat
I love the way these look. I foung some at Home Depot that vary in color from white to tan. I'm concerned because we will end up with more grout with smaller tiles like this. I'm wondering if I might regret it later. I love the way this kind of tile has more detail for our small bathroom.

3. 12" Ceramic
The safest choice I guess would be larger ceramic tile. We would go with a nuetral/tan tile. We would have minimal grout, virtually no maintanence and this kind is very safe for purposes of selling the home too.

Help?

Texas Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0
Question

hmmm.... these kinds of decisions are fun. Which tile suits the home's personality?

Oh, and when do you think you'll sell?

Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 28

OK, standby a minute:

Quote:
2. Small square ceramic tiles on a mat
I love the way these look. 1.I foung some at Home Depot that vary in color from white to tan. 2.I'm concerned because we will end up with more grout with smaller tiles like this. I'm wondering if I might regret it later. I love the way this kind of tile has more detail for our small bathroom.
1.The "small square tiles on a mat" at Home Depot are generally a very low budget tile. If you like that look I would suggest you use a higher quality of that type of tile from maybe Dal-Tile or one of the mainstream tile suppliers. Better tiles will be thicker than those you are looking at.

2.And why is that a problem? This is precisely why those smaller tiles are preferred in a bathroom setting. The more grout lines and the closer they are together the more friction there is for wet feet and the less chance of a slip/fall. Also you WILL NOT use more grout. Depending on how wide you would have your grout lines using the larger tiles.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote