Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #1

Share |

Tile Question

I am wanting to put down tile in our kitchen area. I have laid tile before by using 1/2" hardiboard over subfloor in another house. Our current house has linoleum over two pieces of 3/4" plywood (total of 1.5" height), since the kitchen floor runs to our den area which is 3/4" hardwood. My question is to reduce my overall height on the new tile floor (and reduce the difference between the tile floor and the hardwood floor), can I put 1/4" hardiboard on top of the linoleum (screwed in) instead of using 1/2" hardiboard?

I know I am only saving 1/4" height, but that will minimize the step up (or down) between the two floors. The two 3/4" plywood is glued together, so I cannot remove one and use 1/2 hardiboard and then the tile.

Thanks for your assistance.
Ptrickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Tileguy

Tile Question

Hi and welcome,

So, you think the sheet vinyl is glued direct to the 3/4" underlayment? No 1/4" underlayment at all? It's best to remove the vinyl. Do you know what type of vinyl it is and how installed? Many have a slight cushion and some are only perimeter glued. Can't go over those.

1/4" backers are intended for floors. You must spread fresh thin set mortar under them and fasten, tape etc.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #3

Tile Question

The vinyl is directly on the subfloor without a 1/4" underlayment. I looked again and it is only glued on the perimeter, which will be easier to remove. My plans are to install 1/4" hardiboard on top of the subfloor (using thinset & tape) and lay the tile. Will the tile floor be approximately 1/2" higher than the hardwood floor where they meet? Is this height difference a concern since we are going from the den area (hardwood floors) to the kitchen (tile floor) a lot each day and is in a high traffic area.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Tileguy

Tile Question

Quote:
Will the tile floor be approximately 1/2" higher than the hardwood floor where they meet?
I don't know what the levels are now. Is the hardwood installed on the subfloor and so is the top of the hardwood even with the 3/4" underlayment? In other words the hardwood is flush with the bare plywood in the kitchen?

I would say 1/4" backer + tiles will be just under 3/4" in the end. Depends on the tiles of course.

That is not a problem though. You can fasten a reducer on the hardwood to transition to the tiles.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
Old 01-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #5

Tile Question

Jazman:

Yes, the hardwood floor is flush with the bare plywood floor in the kitchen. So the 3/4" difference should not be a problem with the proper reducer in an area used a lot?

I assume you install the reducer first and then tile to it?

Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Tileguy

Tile Question

Quote:
I assume you install the reducer first and then tile to it?
A pic of the door jamb area would be helpful. But, no, the reducer would probably be best installed after the tiles are in. You'd install the tiles ending with an edging like a Schluter Schiene "L" leaving at least 1/4" gap to the hardwood. Then install the reducer on the hardwood butted to the Schiene. That's one way.

Jaz

Tags
tile, tile floor