Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #1

Share |

Is Tile Possible

ha ha the drama continues, no asbestos concern, but the whole floor is built up in the basement, therefore the bar and all walls etc...
I tried peeling some tiles to see what was there. So herein lies my problem, I cant get down to the concrete, as the whole basement is built on this subfloor,
Appears to be 1/2 "wood, has some movement to it, but if I peel the tile I damage the floor, Can I put plywood over this, and tile what alternative are there??
Attached Thumbnails
Is Tile Possible-floor.jpg  

mcconnre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
All trades carpenter

Is Tile Possible

Make sure the existing wood you have is 1/2" because you want about 1 1/8" sub floor. Then you would screw and thin set 1/8' hardi backer board down. Red gaurd and mesh tape the seams and you are ready for tile!

CrpntrFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Tileguy

Is Tile Possible

OH for Heaven's sake! Didn't you just read this is a basement? You forgot about the concrete under what MC says is 1/2" plywood. The 1 1/8" of wood subfloor does not apply.

HardieBacker....1/8" since when? What's the point of RedGuard in this type of installation?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
All trades carpenter

Is Tile Possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
OH for Heaven's sake! Didn't you just read this is a basement? You forgot about the concrete under what MC says is 1/2" plywood. The 1 1/8" of wood subfloor does not apply.

HardieBacker....1/8" since when? What's the point of RedGuard in this type of installation?

Jaz
Uh....
1.BUILT UP OFF THE BASEMENT FLOOR! So that to me means there is some sort of joist under the 1/2" ply. He said himself " IT MOVES A BIT"
2. You need twice the subfloor then the tile you are using. 1/2" anything is never acceptable on a floor. NEVER!!
3.I will give you the 1/8" hardi backer. I ment 1/4".
4.Red Gaurd not only repels water but it helps with cracks on concrete or in this intance SEAMS ON THE HARDI BACKER! SAYS SO RIGHT ON THE DIRECTIONS!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #5
All trades carpenter

Is Tile Possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post

Jaz
I didn't see any advice for him from you! So do you not have any or are you on here to show everyone your a bad as.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
Tileguy

Is Tile Possible

Carpenter, (I assume),

This subject has been going on for a while in a different thread, there was nothing to add for him here. I was only responding to what I considered your mistaken advice since apparently you didn't realize the plywood was bonded and/or fastened direct to the slab. Which I'm sure you know is not a good method in this case.

I and the other "tile pros", are simply trying to correct any advise that is or may be wrong. This is a DIY'er flooring forum, and you can imagine that those asking for advice are liable to believe anything that someone may write here, whether accurate or not. There is so much bad info available over the internet as you may know. I see you are a carpenter, I'm sure you know what I mean if you contribute to those type of forums.

In any case, we generally ask that those who represent themselves as experts in a field give a short bio and or some kind of contact info so that the general public can feel more comfortable with the advise they provide. Like work history or a website etc.

Everyone's contribution is appreciated, but be prepared to be challenged for the good of the forum and all it's visitors

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #7

Is Tile Possible

Quote:
Everyone's contribution is appreciated, but be prepared to be challenged for the good of the forum and all it's visitors
Absolutely, but there are good and bad ways to do it.

Quote:
OH for Heaven's sake! Didn't you just read this is a basement?
This type of attitude usually does not solve anything. By no means am I saying that your attitude is the worst, but I am just saying that a more positive disagreement would solve more.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
Tileguy

Is Tile Possible

Florcraft have you been taking some kind of transformation pill? Should we be calling you Pastor Florcraft in the future?
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #9

Is Tile Possible

That would work!

Or just plain Moderator would be fine too
Old 11-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #10
Tileguy

Is Tile Possible

Yow well don't let it go to your head.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #11
Tileguy

Is Tile Possible

The point is, when someone shows up, gives themselves a title giving the impression they have knowledge in the subject without any credentials, then gives poor advice without mentioning they are not pros in the subject at hand, well, that makes the forum look bad. People are likely to believe what is written.

In this particular case, I'm sure I could have pointed the error in a different way, but I guess it was an accumulation of this type of thing that made me react the way I did. I still think we should be asked to give a short bio, a way for anyone to make contact, and even using a real first name would help visitors gain confidence in our advice.

Jaz

Old 11-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #12

Is Tile Possible

to the tilegods I am forever in your debt
mcconnre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #13

Is Tile Possible

Quote:
In this particular case, I'm sure I could have pointed the error in a different way, but I guess it was an accumulation of this type of thing that made me react the way I did. I still think we should be asked to give a short bio, a way for anyone to make contact, and even using a real first name would help visitors gain confidence in our advice.
We have a bunch of pro's here.
You adding a comment that disagrees works just great, and others will chime in to agree with you.
I have been doing this on these forums for 10 years and I agree that sometimes advice is pretty bad. But that's when I chime in and add links if needed to prove a point.
Sometimes it turns into a thread hiijack-

just like what I am doing now.....

gotta go