Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 610

Tile patchwork?????

Had a shower pan crack and leak, now I am wondering if you think I can patch this all the way around, along with a Kerdi floor?

Basically the wall to the left and the wall straight ahead lost 2 rows of tile and the wall on the right lost 3.

I was thinking instead of going back with 1/2 rock and 1/2 in hardibacker, I would do 1/2 rock and 1/4 inch hardibacker, so that I could use Kerdi on the floor and up the walls 2 rows.

Comments?

digitalplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Tile patchwork?????

i would rip all that drywall out and do it right.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #3

Tile patchwork?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT
i would rip all that drywall out and do it right.
Are you talking about the right side, or the whole shower?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Tile patchwork?????

i would take all of the drywall out of the shower. that's the way they used to do it tho, with no waterproofing whatsoever. i don't know how many showers and tubs i have torn out over the years like that. most didn't know they had a problem til they leaned on the wall a little hard and it caved in. if you just want a quick fix for a short time you can anything you want. if you plan to stay there for a while tear it all out and do it right. putting kerdi around the bottom will work there but there is nothing behind the rest of the tile except drywall, correct? you can tell from the rusted nails that there has been moisture back there. the good side is if you plan to use kerdi on the walls you can use regular drywall. if you patch the wall make the seam under the middle of a tile. if its under a grout joint the water coming through the grout joint will have an easy path into the wall.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #5

Tile patchwork?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
i would take all of the drywall out of the shower. that's the way they used to do it tho, with no waterproofing whatsoever. i don't know how many showers and tubs i have torn out over the years like that. most didn't know they had a problem til they leaned on the wall a little hard and it caved in. if you just want a quick fix for a short time you can anything you want. if you plan to stay there for a while tear it all out and do it right. putting kerdi around the bottom will work there but there is nothing behind the rest of the tile except drywall, correct? you can tell from the rusted nails that there has been moisture back there. the good side is if you plan to use kerdi on the walls you can use regular drywall. if you patch the wall make the seam under the middle of a tile. if its under a grout joint the water coming through the grout joint will have an easy path into the wall.

No actually the walls are 1/2 inch sheetrock and 1/2 inc Hardibacker.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,910

Tile patchwork?????

Peal off a row or two of tile---we need to see if the backer board is still sound---
-and you will need to have the seam under the tile--and taped --with thinset and tilers mesh.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #7

Tile patchwork?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Peal off a row or two of tile---we need to see if the backer board is still sound---
-and you will need to have the seam under the tile--and taped --with thinset and tilers mesh.

OK, but I can tell you its solid.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,088

Tile patchwork?????

We do not repair showers that were built using wallboard. You'd have to remove more tiles exposing at least one row of good wallboard in order to do a half-*ss job. But then what would you replace the tiles with? Nothing is gonna match, waste of time and money.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #9

Tile patchwork?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan
We do not repair showers that were built using wallboard. You'd have to remove more tiles exposing at least one row of good wallboard in order to do a half-*ss job. But then what would you replace the tiles with? Nothing is gonna match, waste of time and money.

Jaz
Thanks! Makes sense even though it is hardi over wallboard
Old 11-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #10

Tile patchwork?????

OK so whats the tip for removing these 8 foot walls of tile, hardibacker and sheetrock?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,910

Tile patchwork?????

Peal off the outside row of tiles----
and the top row---make a shallow saw cut at the nearest stud-
--bang a hand grip hole through the tile work--
-and pull off the entire wall in one hard pull.
digitalplumber (11-06-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 25

Tile patchwork?????

Yeah, that looks like 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" tile so you can pop off the 2x6 trim and then use a sheetrock saw pressed up against the field tile to cut through everything. When you hit a stud just jump it and go back with a utility knife and deeply score it, then bust a handhold into the field tile somewhere and tear out the whole wall in one shot. You can then break the wall into smaller chunks as needed to make removal and disposal easier.

What are your plans for replacing the shower?

Are you a professional tile installer that is trained to properly install a "mud pan" shower? This is a rather significant undertaking that is not really a DIY project. I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that I've seen significantly more DIY failures than successes regarding this type of project.

If you are planning on trying to tackle this project yourself what are the steps, materials, tools, and installation methods you will take to turn this problem into a success?
RWCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #13

Tile patchwork?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCustom View Post
Yeah, that looks like 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" tile so you can pop off the 2x6 trim and then use a sheetrock saw pressed up against the field tile to cut through everything. When you hit a stud just jump it and go back with a utility knife and deeply score it, then bust a handhold into the field tile somewhere and tear out the whole wall in one shot. You can then break the wall into smaller chunks as needed to make removal and disposal easier.

What are your plans for replacing the shower?

Are you a professional tile installer that is trained to properly install a "mud pan" shower? This is a rather significant undertaking that is not really a DIY project. I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that I've seen significantly more DIY failures than successes regarding this type of project.

If you are planning on trying to tackle this project yourself what are the steps, materials, tools, and installation methods you will take to turn this problem into a success?

My plans, are to use the Kerdi Shower System-Kit. Above average DIYER.

Thanks