Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tile over tile or use backerboard

Hi,
I've looked all over for an answer to this question but haven't really found anything. I'm going to remodel my bathroom in the next couple of weeks. It was built in 1973 and currently has the original ceramic tile floor. The floor is really stuck on there and I don't want to try to get it off. I would like to either a) tile right on top of that tile--scuffing and cleaning the existing surface and using a modified thinset suitable for tiling over tile. or b) use that same thinset to "glue and screw" 1/4 inch backerboard on the floor and tile over that.

--obviously option B would be more labor intensive, but I wonder if it would be a better method to use or if I'm doing all that work for nothing. I'm also wondering if those backerboard screws will go through the tile? Thanks for your help.

gbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,476

Skip the backer board----that will not work over tile---

Tile over tile can be done successfully --if the original tile is sound---only you can be the judge of that.

I usually use Kerabond and Keralastic for situations like yours---unmodified mixed with liquid latex--But a good modified thin set will also work---If in doubt--call the manufacturer for their recommendations.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the advice. Do you think I need to scuff up the tile with a sander before laying new tile?
gbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,476

certainly won't hurt--Use 60 or 80 grit in a belt sander or an angle grinder---(2 disks,back to back)
Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes Brady, tile backer over ceramic is not a good plan. Screws just don't wanna go into ceramic. I'm sure you'd also find there's deck mud under the tiles too.

Go over the tiles if non are loose and in good condition. You can scuff the floor or use a carborundum stone. Mapei also makes a bond enhancing primer just for that purpose. Eco Prim Grip.http://www.mapei.com/public/US/produ...rip_TDS_EA.pdf

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-04-2013)