Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #1

Share |

Tile over Tile over Slate - can slate be salvaged?

Here's my situation:

Original to the house is slate tile in the foyer, approx 150-200 sq. ft. Over this was a layer of 2" ceramic tiles, adhered with mastic. Over *this* was 6" ceramic, installed with thinset.

I've now removed both layers of tile, and am in the process of removing the mastic using a scraper and mastic remover (NASTY stuff). We didn't like the floor as it was, and the way I look at it, either a) I get down to the slate, it looks like crap, and I put new tile over it, or b) I get down to the slate and it looks great. Either way, it'll look better than before.

The slate on the areas I have cleaned as well as I can looks really dull. I assume I can apply sealer to help kick up the appearance? Anybody have recommendations on what kind or brands to use? Also, is it worth it just to give up on getting the mastic out of the grout and just regrouting?
jwilds1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slate