Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #1

Share |

Tile over old glue?

I am getting ready to finish my kitchen remodel with a new porceline tile floor. I am using a somewhat high priced tile and really don't want to do it twice. Hewe is the problem. Concrete slab house, stripped the three layers of floor that were there, I'm left with a black glue from the bottom layer. This was a linolium tile glued on approx 1952. Can i just go right over this with thinset? If not any suggestions on how to remove it? I have tried various strippers and solevents as well as heat and had less than poor results. I appreciate any answers from those who speak from experience.

Thanks and nice site you have here!

ANDYHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:01 AM   #2

Tile over old glue?

You need a floor scraper. Carefull those blades and super sharpe

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:10 AM   #3

Tile over old glue?

I keep hearing of "concrete slab houses" on this forum.

What is a "concrete slab house"?

I wonder if I have a concrete slab house.......
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:27 AM   #4

Tile over old glue?

Its almost like it sounds. A traditional foundation consists of a footing and walls, a concrete slab is all one also known as a Monolithic pad (see pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Tile over old glue?-monopad.jpg  
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #5

Tile over old glue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylh View Post
You need a floor scraper. Carefull those blades and super sharpe

Okay, let me clarify this. I have tried all traditional methods including floor scrapers and razor scrapers. If i have to remove it I will haveto grind it off creating a lot of airborne dust possibly asbestos. I would really like to encapsulate it and tile over it but want to make sure it will hold up over time. So what I am looking for is someone who speaks from experience tiling over "cutback" adhesive.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #6

Tile over old glue?

Don't grind it, it's asbestos, so was the tile you removed, probably those hard brittle 9" ones, correct?

In any case, using chemical strippers was a mistake, it inhibits thinset from adhereing to the floor, not sure now, but I would rinse and wash that floor real well, then, if no cracks and if it's flat enough for tile, use a quaility thinset such as Flexbond from HD, it works fine over cutback adhesive.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #7

Tile over old glue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&D Tile View Post
Don't grind it, it's asbestos, so was the tile you removed, probably those hard brittle 9" ones, correct?

In any case, using chemical strippers was a mistake, it inhibits thinset from adhereing to the floor, not sure now, but I would rinse and wash that floor real well, then, if no cracks and if it's flat enough for tile, use a quaility thinset such as Flexbond from HD, it works fine over cutback adhesive.
That sounds good, I only tried the chemicles in a small spot in the laundry room nearby so no worries there. I bought a few bags of flexbond by custom today so it looks like Sunday we'll see how it works

Thanks
Old 04-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to sjjacks

Tile over old glue?

I've done quite a bit of tile in my own house. Provided it isn't bumpy, it would seem to me if it so difficult to remove, it isn't going anywhere. Thinset is amazing stuff. By the time you get it all down, locked into the thinset and grouted, I think everything will be fine. If you have doubts, I have also put down 1/4 luan nailed 5 inches on center and tiled over that. NO Problems. We finally tired of that tile after 12 years, and when I wanted to tear it up it was VERY difficult to break through to the luan subfloor. However, once their, I put a pinch bar under the luan and was able to tear it up fairly easy in 3 an d four ft sections. Actually, this is not a bad idea, better than going onto original floor and having it almost impossible to remove Good luck, tile always looks great.!
sjjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #9

Tile over old glue?

Luan is not made to put tile over.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to sjjacks

Tile over old glue?

Hi, I know that a lot of people don't believe in the luan route, but It has worked very well for me over the years and as mentioned, when the time comes to remove the tile it is possible. I have never had a failure as long as it is nailed 5 or 6 inches on center. If you do it professionally, I guess someone could criticize you, but as I said, my personal experience has been nothing but positive. :-)
sjjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 05:59 PM   #11

Tile over old glue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjjacks View Post
Hi, I know that a lot of people don't believe in the luan route, but It has worked very well for me over the years and as mentioned, when the time comes to remove the tile it is possible. I have never had a failure as long as it is nailed 5 or 6 inches on center. If you do it professionally, I guess someone could criticize you, but as I said, my personal experience has been nothing but positive. :-)
NEVER EVER use luan or any 1/4" wood for tiling , EVER, I'm glad it worked for you, but it isn't an approved method, don't anyone reading this use it.

Oh and, this floor is a slab, not wood.

R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote