Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #1

Share |

Tile over concrete with glue residue

Hello,
I'm currently working on replacing all the flooring in our main level, which includes a powder room. That area had a builder installed engineered wood flooring that was glued down over concrete, with what seemed to be an excessive amount of adhesive. After renting a commercial floor stripper I was able to get all the flooring up however I was left with a think glue residue. It is patchy and not a solid coating of residue but still enough to have me concerned about proper adhesive with my mortar. The mortar I purchased is Mapei Ultraflex 1. Will this mortar be adequate after scrapping the flooring and sanding it to remove as much of the residue as possible? If that isn't possible is there a way I can attach a CBU to the subfloor? I want to do this right the first time. I appreciate any advice.

Thank you
Eric

ebitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

You can't use CBU on a concrete floor.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #3

That's what I thought. Is there a mortar that would be acceptable to use that would be effected by the adhesive residue?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #4

I saw on another post where another forum member had a similar issue with vinyl tile adhesive residue left on concrete. It was suggested that he try water as many of the adhesive's were water based. Does this also hold true for wood flooring adhesives? The glue on my floor is also yellow in color and turns to powder when I attempted to sand it. Also I see that the Superflex 1 is a very entry level product. The area I am tiling is only about 45 sq. ft. so cost is not an issue. Is there a higher end product available the big box stores that would yield a higher quality end result?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:36 PM   #5

I've been told in this forum that the only way to reliably get rid of adhesive on concrete is by mechanically taking it off. forget about removers or scrapers,you'll wear yourself out! get an "angle grinder" and a "diamond blade". (that's what I did on my front slab) be prepared for dust like you wouldn't believe!

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #6

Eb,
I have decent results with removing adhesive with a heat gun and stiff putty knife or scraper. It stinks a bit, but the gun should soften up the glue so you can easily scrape it off. Watch the heat gun near the bottom plates, don't let it get to hot. Have a bucket of water and sponge handy just in case.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
DIY staff

You could encapsulate it with a self leveling compound----I suggest Jifset mixed with Lineweber liquid latex--

Other wise read the instructions on what ever brands are available to you.

A picture of the glue mess would help---and the type of glue if you have any idea what it is.