Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
DIY Expert in Training!

Rewards Points: 250

Tile over asbestos tile?

I am remodeling my laundry room. The house is a split level built in the 60s. I am told the floor tiles may be asbestos. They are still attached very well. Here is my dilemma. I've received advise to both remove and also to tile over. I think removal would be best suited for a professional but with new carpets in 1/2 of the basement and the heater and water heater in the same room I think it's too expensive.

Thoughts?

gone_fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Tile over asbestos tile?

Is it a wood floor under or concrete? If wood floor I would leave them and put backer board over and then tile. If concrete under I would remove them and tile right on the concrete. Removal is, in my opinion, a DIY job. Just wear a dust mask and get on with it. If the old tiles go under things like water heater, etc, just leave them in that area if you do not feel up to moving that stuff. Even easier - Just carpet over them.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
DIY Expert in Training!

Tile over asbestos tile?

It's over concrete.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
Oldguy

Tile over asbestos tile?

This question is subject to great debate within the tile industry. I would tile over it with a quality modified thinset like Mapei's Ultraflex 2. Their spec sheet says it will adhere well to the tile. IMNTBHO

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
DIY Expert in Training!

Tile over asbestos tile?

I've been told to use thinset to put down Schluter Ditra mat then thinset for the tile. This the best method?
Old 01-05-2008, 11:59 PM   #6
Oldguy

Tile over asbestos tile?

Do not use Ditra in this application. Ditra requires unmodified thinset and that will not adhere to the old tile

Old 01-06-2008, 12:02 AM   #7
Jaz

Rewards Points: 10

Tile over asbestos tile?

You should remove the tiles and work off the slab. If you were hiring someone and they did work as you propose, I bet you'd be leery. A few hours of hard work and you'll be done. Normally I would say that it is possible to get a good enough bond over most vinyl tiles. The problem is you don't know if the vinyl tiles will remain stuck. Often what at first seems a well bonded floor, turns out not to be.

Also, those tiles of yours are not vinyl, they are asphalt tiles. I don't know of any thinset that specifically mentions asphalt tiles as an acceptable substrate to bond to. Even if they did I would be hesitant.

Anyway, it's not as simple as you may think to go right over resilient tiles, even if it was ok to go over asphalt. Apparently you haven't read the instructions at www.schluter.com

Jaz
Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 AM   #8
Jaz

Tile over asbestos tile?

Rehabber,

You're wrong about the thinset. I know it can be confusing, but if you're a professional and use the stuff it's really not all that hard to understand. Perhaps you haven't used Ditra much?

Download the Ditra manual and read the 32 pages. www.schluter.com

Jaz
Old 01-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #9
Oldguy

Tile over asbestos tile?

Jaz, I have read the manual, and Schluter DOES NOT recommend the use of modified thinset with Ditra. As far as using modified thinset on floor tiles, Mapei's ultraflex 2 or 3 adheres extremely well, and eliminates the asbestos hazard by encapsulation. Thats way better than the increased possibility of mesothelioma caused primarily by exposure to asbestos dust. IMNTBHO

Old 01-06-2008, 12:52 AM   #10
Jaz

Tile over asbestos tile?

Maybe you read it but I'm not sure you understand what it says, or maybe why? There is no problem using modified thinset to install Ditra. Matter of fact YOU HAVE TO when the substrate calls for it such as plywood for example. OK, so what kind of thinset would you use over plywood? You simple misread and didn't really mean to say no modified to install Ditra?

If gone fishing decides to take a chance and install Ditra over his old resilient tiles, what thinset would you recommend? That answer is obvious.

Jaz
Old 01-06-2008, 08:07 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

Tile over asbestos tile?

The new floor will only be down as well as the exsiting. Thats an old floor I would not trust it to hold down my new tile.
The cutback adhesive under the asphalt asbestos tiles crystallizes after a decade or two.

Have it abated.

To the guy that said removing asbestos tile is a DIY project...BAD ADVISE. Dont let Big Brother catch ya , your jobsite will be siezed, covered with a plastic bubble and youll be looking at serious fines.
mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #12

Tile over asbestos tile?

I had an older house with these tiles in the kitchen area and Mike is correct, the adhesive under the asphalt asbestos tiles crystallizes and they pop loose.

They need to be removed or you'll be sorry later.
mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #13
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Tile over asbestos tile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike costello View Post
The new floor will only be down as well as the exsiting. Thats an old floor I would not trust it to hold down my new tile.
The cutback adhesive under the asphalt asbestos tiles crystallizes after a decade or two.

Have it abated.

To the guy that said removing asbestos tile is a DIY project...BAD ADVISE. Dont let Big Brother catch ya , your jobsite will be siezed, covered with a plastic bubble and youll be looking at serious fines.
Yea, if you are really concerned. The moon suit approach has lost favor in recent years and the scare is minimized.

First off - Asbestos is only a concern if its airborne. Second, its not a certainty that this tile contains asbestos. Even if it did contain asbestos it would be hard to make it airborne. If it is asbestos in the tile (or mastic) its encapsulated in the tile. Wear a dust mask, put a fan in a window. If your really concerned wear a respirator instead of a .99c mask.

Bottom line - keep it simple - Tile over the concrete. Thats the right thing to do. No use discussing other options that might work. There is no question that the tile will stick to the concrete w/o doing anything special.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #14

Tile over asbestos tile?

I don't think the space suit gig is needed; however, if I had tiled over my floor without removing the old before putting down the new, I would have been one unhappy camper. Just my 2 pennies worth.
mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 150

Tile over asbestos tile?

I agree to an extent. The stuff isnt toxic, its the finite shape of the dust that makes it stick to stuff like lung tissue. All the pros do is wet it down to keep the dust low.

Its getting caught disposing the stuff that will get you burned.

Goatta say, the stuff usually comes up easy..errr...so I heard

mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote