Tile And Laminate Floor Transition - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Tile and Laminate Floor Transition

Hello Folks,
Thanks very much for all your assistance. I am installing laminate tiles and I am running into some transition issues with the ceramic tiles they adjoin.

I have a 3/4 inch subfloor. On top of that is a 1/4 inch plywood. The laminate is a tongue/groove (click) type, with an underlayer already attached to it.

I am installing the laminate in a small foyer that sits in front of the laundry room and powder room - both of which have ceramic tiles I installed recently.

Now my issues:

-- First, there is a small (about a 1/4 inch) height (lip) difference between the tiles and laminate tiles (i.e., the tiles slightly taller - - see Figure A & C).

-- Secondly, as Figure B shows, I left about a 4 inch open space in the door-way (between the tiles and laminates).

1. What kinds of transition should I use between the two interfaces?

2. Do the transition strips need to sit directly on the plywood or directly on the subfloor ?

3. Finally, how wide does the transition strip (or space for it) need to be? Is 4inch (between the bathroom and foyer) too wide?

Thanks again for all your responses. Happy 4th !!!

rgds, Oyiwaa
Attached Thumbnails
Tile and Laminate Floor Transition-laminate-installation_transitions.jpg  

Advertisement

Oyiwaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 570

I made my own with oak. Tile side is flat against the tile height (tiles installed straight). Floating floor side is rabbeted to cover the floor edge and space for movement and beveled top edge. It went in between the door jambs and stops reinstalled later.

Advertisement

carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,164

What carpdad describes is a custom made transition which is what I do also, but I don't think you can buy what he describes, if you have a table router you can make one though.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote