Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #1

Share |

Tile Installation Costs

Can anyone tell me what the estimated going hourly rate/job rate for tile installation of a bedroom and closet of 300sq ft would be? Both floors are original cement slab.
budsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
JOATMON

Tile Installation Costs

Please read this link to get the answer to your question.

"How much will it cost?" Asking for price estimates here.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #3

Tile Installation Costs

In Ohio...I recently(Spring 2012) had a kitchen backsplash done and a ceramic tile floor done. The backsplash was about 36 sq ft. The field tile was a natural stone and we had some accent strips and crown borders. The flooring was about 450 Sq. ft (kitchen, laundry, bath, foyer area.) The tile was a ceramic 12x12 with a few off-color 12x12 randomly thrown in. The tile was laid in a brick-bond pattern.

For both projects, I purchased all materials myself and paid two local tile guys by the hour. One did the backsplash and another did the floor tile.

Backsplash took about 9 hours. Included tile and grout. I installed box extenders for receptacles and sealed grout.

For the floor, I did the labor removing all old flooring, appliances, toilet, shoe-molding and doors. Floor tile guy took about 45 hours to lay cementboard in mortar, install tile and grout. I did the sealing and reinstalled molding, doors and toilet.

Ive attached photos of cost sheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Tile Installation Costs-prices-20tile-20install.jpg  
hammerlane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #4

Tile Installation Costs

floor tile installed:
Attached Thumbnails
Tile Installation Costs-100_6664.jpg   Tile Installation Costs-100_6584.jpg   Tile Installation Costs-100_6585.jpg   Tile Installation Costs-100_6665.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 12-09-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
DIY staff

Tile Installation Costs

Thank's Hammerlane---

This is a good example of why pricing questions seldom work well----

The labor rate shown in that example is only $25.00 per hour,including all overhead and profit---

That level of payment would be extremely low in this market----(Chicago)

Get a couple of local quotes---Few setters will use materials supplied by the homeowner--with the exception of the tile itself----

I know the setting materials and grout that work for me---and would not use any other--so a time and materials quote will be rare for tile work---
Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #6

Tile Installation Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Thank's Hammerlane---

This is a good example of why pricing questions seldom work well----

The labor rate shown in that example is only $25.00 per hour,including all overhead and profit
Thats why I made sure to include my location. It was $20/hr for the backsplash and $30/hr for the flooring. Both guys had "full time" tile jobs and did mine after hours.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
DIY staff

Tile Installation Costs

I see---they were working for wages and not concerned with over head----very good price but not typical----most times--truck--tools--insurance--vacation pay---workmans comp and selling expenses social security and profit are added to the craftsmans wage---adding a fair bit more---
Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #8

Tile Installation Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I see---they were working for wages and not concerned with over head
yeah but they got me on beer costs at the end of each day
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
JOATMON

Tile Installation Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
yeah but they got me on beer costs at the end of each day
Yep....the beer factor......something you have to consider in the cost of every project......like "How many beers will drink before I have that wall framed?"

My
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Tileguy

Tile Installation Costs

Folks, those prices Hammerilane mentioned are ridiculously too low for anyone except a handyman working under the table for cash. They're cheating the rest of us who are trying to be legitimate and pay taxes etc.

Backsplash for $220 is nuts. 36 sq. ft. is not a small backsplash, but regardless, to do the job right he had to be there for parts of 2 days not to mention the time to look at the job in the first place and time to pick up any materials or tools.

Same with the floor, too low by at least $600, probably more. Plus the installer made no profit on the materials. I wonder how much taxes he paid on this? You paid the one guy $20 an hour, the other $30. That's what people that clean houses charge if paid in cash. Hope that dollar thirty something tile works out fine for you.

I saw that pic of the step before, and chose not to mention how bad it looks thinking it was a DIY job. But if you paid someone, should have been done right, not like that, but then again.......

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation

Last edited by JazMan; 12-09-2012 at 12:00 PM.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #11

Tile Installation Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Folks, those prices Hammerilane mentioned are ridiculously too low for anyone except a handyman working under the table for cash.
Both guys were not what I would consider handymen doing tile work. Both guys are union tile workers that did my jobs between union jobs. Backsplash guy I have known for 20 years and thats all he does is tile. He got too busy after the backsplash so I had to find someone else to do floor tile.

Quote:
Backsplash for $220 is nuts. 36 sq. ft. is not a small backsplash, but regardless, to do the job right he had to be there for parts of 2 days not to mention the time to look at the job in the first place and time to pick up any materials or tools.
Yes two days, a Wednesday then a Saturday. He didnt have to look at job. He's the one I've known for 20 years so I emailed him photos. I picked up all materials. He had his tools in his truck already both days after his day job.

Quote:
Same with the floor, too low by at least $600, probably more. Plus the installer made no profit on the materials.
Installer knew I was supplying all material.

Quote:
I wonder how much taxes he paid on this?
That would depend on his total income/ profit/loss for the entire year.

Quote:
I saw that pic of the step before, and chose not to mention how bad it looks thinking it was a DIY job. But if you paid someone, should have been done right, not like that
ARe you referring to the edge of the step where there is no nosing? I know some of the thinset is oozing out and not all the way to the edge and could of been a little more even but all I know is it has been 19 months and not a crack anywhere in the grout or field tiles for the floor. Can't say as much for our up bathroom where the grout is cracking in spots. Must of been a handyman who did the up bathroom.

Last edited by hammerlane; 12-09-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Tileguy

Tile Installation Costs

Those guys did you a big favor in regards to saving you money.

As for the missing step nosing. Whether anything cracked or not is not material, I'm looking at aesthetics and safety. Too late to correct it now, but maybe you can improve the appearance with paint or a wood door-stop molding or something.

If you're happy, all is good.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! PRODUCT * METHOD * INSTALLATION FAILURE consultation
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #13

Tile Installation Costs

Jaz...I know you and usually Bud Cline seem to be the resident expert in tile work.

Last edited by hammerlane; 12-09-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #14

Tile Installation Costs

In the spirit of cooperation I did receive two estimates from local flooring companies....Here they are:

Estimate #1
Floor tile: was $2500 for tile install, $1350 for cement board install, $75 to grout and $150 to reinstall shoe molding. They based amount on about 489.5 sq feet which included 10% waste. I asked why are they charging install for waste when it is not being installed. They said thats how it is figured.

Backsplash: their base price for labor was $350 for my backsplash which they estimated at 35.55 sq ft

You can see from their price list that they charge for basically any movement.

1st photo is the layout of my floor tile area that I made.
Attached Thumbnails
Tile Installation Costs-floor-layout.jpg   Tile Installation Costs-est-201.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #15

Tile Installation Costs

Here is estimate #2 from a different flooring company. Along with the price being high, when I asked how he installs the hardi-backer board he told me with screws only. The hardi-backer directions says to install in a bed of wet mortar and screw down
Attached Thumbnails
Tile Installation Costs-est-2.jpg