Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Tile install

Hi all. I just found this forum on my smartphone, and I thought I would post a question. My wife and I just bought our first house and we tore up the carpet and I laid hardwood, which I just finished. We decided to lay tile in the kitchen/eat in kitchen because the linoleum / vinyl flooring I am unsure which it is or if they are the same, looks not good next to solid hardwood. The previous owners laid the current floor over original vinyl/laminate flooring. I intended to rip the layers down to the plywood subfloor like I did for the hardwood. Then level it and install the cement backerboard. Am I correct on this? Also should I plan on purchasing a nice tile saw? My wife wants a diagonal layout so there will be alot of cuts. Thanks in advance for the replies, I am on my phone so I apologize if there are typos lol.

blackws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,192

Tile install

You won't too often be graded on typing errors around here, it just depends if they come out humorous or not.

You are on the right track if your structure supports your desires. Not all structures are suitable for a rigid ceramic tile installation.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #3

Tile install

What would be an example of a improper structure? I have all tools and materials for the installation. Should I have checked something else before the purchase?

Sent from my DROIDX using DIY Chatroom
Old 09-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Tileguy

Tile install

When you get time report back with the:
  • Joist style. (Dimensional 2X's, or I-Joists, or Truss Joists.) Hopefully it is one of those three.
  • Joist size.
  • Joists center-spacing.
  • Length of unsupported joist span.
  • Subfloor material.
  • If you happen to see the joists species stamped somewhere that would helpful too.
Someone here will check some tables for you to determine your floor structure's deflection value.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #5

Tile install

Excuse the negligence but i would not know what I'm looking at. This is my first venture into home work. I don't know the technical parts and lingo. I know the joists I believe are 16" on center and where the ply wood edges are there is support at that point. I will try to see if I can get any other info. Thanks again.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Tileguy

Tile install

Okay...see you already know more than you thought you did.

There should be a way to measure the spacing between the floor joists and the unsupported span.

If you have floor vents that is one way to determine the subfloor thickness.

Is there a basement?

I'm assuming this is a wood structure floor and not a concrete floor?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #7

Tile install

Lol there is a basement and I was going to move the panels on the drop ceiling to measure the span. It is a wood subfloor and if I am not mistaken I think the plywood is 5/8" if that is a regular size. All these measurements are coming from what I got when we did the hardwood. It is the same floor throughout.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Tileguy

Tile install

Sounding fairly typical so far. The 5/8" subfloor is typically the minimum allowed by building codes most places.

Now, the joist size (2" X 10" maybe) and the joist style. The unsupported span is the big deal.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #9

Tile install

Hey Bud, the subfloor is 3/4 13/16 i measure the thickness at an hvac duct in the floor, it was tough to read but it is either of those two. The joists are 2x10 with 16 on center spacing. From the wall to a metal beam in the absent which is right under the floor intended to be tiled is 14', at 7' there are sports that criss cross from joist to joist kind of like a railroad bridge haha if you understand my amateur descriptions. Thanks again.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Tileguy

Tile install

You'll be good to go for ceramic tile. I don't think it will fly for stone tile but I didn't look it up either.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #11

Tile install

Thank you Bud! I just re read my post and saw that autocorrect adjusted my words and it didn't make sense in spots haha. Thank you again for your help. Should I invest in a tile saw? I bought a pneumatic floor nailer for the hardwood due to the amount of time I have to put into it and that renting it would cost so much more. I saw one at lowes tonight that is 189 and said it is for light duty diy work. Sound worth it? Or you have a suggestion as to where to buy and what.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #12
Tileguy

Tile install

Not sure what tile you are using or how much or how many cuts you could have but of course a wet-saw is the only way to go. You get what you pay for. If you use porcelain tile I doubt a low performance saw will work for you but I don't know what saw you are looking at.