Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tile to Hardwood Transition

HI! I have finished my kitchen and put tile in. I am going to put tile on the other side of my living room at my entry and in a bathroom that joins the living room. Right now, the tile kitchen area is transitioned by carpeted living and family rooms.
I have purchased some wood flooring to put in those two rooms. I want the transition to be level and I do not want to put in a transition strip.
There is cement board under my kitchen tile. My tile person is telling me that in the other two areas, she can use a sealer on the subfloor and tile right over that.
Some are telling me to stack the roofing felt to even the height of the floors, and then feather it out back from the transition areas to a single thickness. When I get to the new tile area, she will adjust the thickness of the quickset to provide a smooth transition. Others are saying to put down a thin OSB board to make up the gap instead of the felt paper and then use cement board under the tile.
I'm very confused. lol!
Any ideas? I've provided a pic. I don't have an exact measurement but I think it's almost 1/4" which will require several layers of felt paper.
THANKS!

politronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #2

While the latter suggestion is significantly more work, I think it provides the superior solution. Feathering the felt paper is a kludge and you'll end up with an uneven floor with uneven firmness. A quarter inch might not seem like much your feet will feel it, people will trip over it, etc.

With the OSB approach your floor will be flat and of even firmness, the way a floor is supposed to be, and it will be stiffer too which is never a bad thing in my book.

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
Tileguy

Is that intended to be a "floating floor"?

If so...you will want to use a transition piece of some type to accommodate the movement of the floating floor. It has to be able to move.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #4

No, it's going to be a nailed down 1/2" engineered floor.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
While the latter suggestion is significantly more work, I think it provides the superior solution. Feathering the felt paper is a kludge and you'll end up with an uneven floor with uneven firmness. A quarter inch might not seem like much your feet will feel it, people will trip over it, etc.

With the OSB approach your floor will be flat and of even firmness, the way a floor is supposed to be, and it will be stiffer too which is never a bad thing in my book.
No, I wouldn't leave it with an edge. One way or another it'll be the same height.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
My tile person is telling me that in the other two areas, she can use a sealer on the subfloor and tile right over that.
There's a scary thought maybe.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by politronics View Post
No, I wouldn't leave it with an edge. One way or another it'll be the same height.
What I meant was that if you transition from the tile to the wood over say, 1' so there is no edge but rather a very gradual slope, you'll still feel it if the whole rest of the floor is flat.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #8

did your tile person say how long she would warranty that tile laid over the sealed subfloor? If you are a 1/4 inch low seems like if you used 3/4 hardwood you would have been even with the tile.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote