DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tile, hardwood, and carpet questions

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 ·
1. I currently have carpet in my living room and hallway, and vinyl in my kitchen and bathroom, with plywood under all. Eventually I am wanting hardwood in the kitchen, living room, and hallway, with tile in the bathroom. I am getting ready to remodel the bathroom. This is going to consist of new toilet, tub and vanity. The hardwood is going down right before I remodel the kitchen, which is still a little ways down the road. I guess what I want to know is what is the best way to put the tile down in the bathroom, without messing up the height of the floor compared to when it meets the carpet? Do I need to put concrete board down in the bathroom before laying the tile? What about under the tub? I figure I would put the tub in, then do the tiling around it and under the toilet as well. I just want to be sure that when I do eventually put the hardwood in, that it is similar height to the tile (and carpet when I put it in the bedrooms).

2. When putting trim down, I know you need to leave the floor trim with about a 1/2" space for carpet, but what about the trim around doorways? Should it go all the way to the floor? Or leave a space as well?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.