Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #1

Share |

Tile grout sealant

What is a good sealant to seal the grout on my tile floors? The wife just spent a good amount of time and effort cleaning the grout on our porcelain tiles. I put on a sealant when I installed the tiles a few years ago, but it didn't seam to help much. I have an off white grout( not the best idea), and want to prevent the grout from looking dark and dirty again. Thanks

jjones1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Tileguy

Tile grout sealant

Hi Jones,

There's lots of good grout sealers available. One I especially like is 511 Impregnator by Miracle Sealants. Another quality company is AquaMix. They all work, even the cheapos. Expect to pay $35-40 per 28-32 oz. or so. Apply two thin coats or per directions.

None last forever, but you might get 5 years or so out of the good ones. However, if the grout installation was not done well, there's likely to be gazillions of tiny pores that will fill with dirt/grime. Grout is porous anyway, but a poor installation makes it worse.

An alternative is to apply a grout colorant which is epoxy base. You can change the color and it makes a permanent seal, (they claim). AquaMix makes this. It's a pain to do, but it works.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote